Prefered ammo? Which, for What, and Why?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by BraveSirWobin, Feb 1, 2018.

1. BraveSirWobin

BraveSirWobin New Member

Hello. Solely for the purpose of curiosity, from a novice shooter, such as myself.
    Revisiting this question again.

I shoot 8 and 10 my steel balls. Different slingshots and band for each.

I solely shoot for target practise and occasionally plinking. Due to this I'm considering going solely for the 8 mm

Small ammo is less noisy and less damagy for plinking.

2. kindlebear

kindlebear Slinger of Shots

6 and 8 mm steel is great for every day shooting, target and plinking. But it depends on your personal preferences. Others use glass marbles, which are bigger but have about the same weight as 8mm steel.... Just as you like...

3. Sidewalkhunter

Sidewalkhunter Hoden

6-8mm steel is cheap....no need for a catchbox. ;)

4. Vadim

Vadim Member

I like 16-20mm steel balls. Great for every day destruction fun .

Knallfrosch likes this.
  5. Ukprelude

Ukprelude New Member

9.5mm for just about everything :)

6. Knallfrosch

Knallfrosch Senior Member

6mm BB´s indoors
    8mm Steel and .68 Paintballs outdoors

7. Brian Cuyle

Brian Cuyle Member

Love them paintballs!! They are a nice change from steel ammo sometimes and make a great mess!

Knallfrosch likes this.
  8. Brian Cuyle

Brian Cuyle Member

I use the clay ammo when shooting in my backyard, less likely to have a fork hit go wandering over the neighbors fence. One thing I have noticed with clay ammo is it has improved how I grip my pouch. The clay ammo will spin and curve very easily if I am loading, gripping or releasing my pouch incorrectly. When go back to 3/8ths inch steel my shots are very tight.

9. Redloesebob

Redloesebob Slingshot Veteran

m18 hex nuts are great ammo for powerful slingshots, cuts a can in one shot lol! :D It even whistle in flight a little, but not so ideal on the long range because of that hole in the nut causes extra air resistance but still works ok considering that!

Much cheaper then steelballs and easier to get your hands on too. But of course steelballs(or lead) are always the best in terms of accuracy and range.;)

10. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Just food for thought. Ceramic baking beans Quite round hard and enough mass to fly with some accuracy : 10 metres in poor light

11. Brian Cuyle

Brian Cuyle Member

Never even heard of em, cool!

12. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Maybe known by a different name. For baking pie crusts and keeping the shape.

13. Brian Cuyle

Brian Cuyle Member

I looked em up on amazon. They look like fun

14. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

I do a lot oof indoor shooting, and to avoid as much damage as possible when I have a fork hit or something else goes wrong I use superlight turned 16 mm beechwood balls. They work very well and fly perfectly true at any distance you might require indoors.

15. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Silver foil balls for indoors. Deform on impact. If you reuse them they eventually get very compacted and hard. I shoot them then spend the rest of the day looking for them if I don’t make a catch.

Knallfrosch likes this.