Pouch attachment for the stickshot, Christmas tree crossbow, etc?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by WPurcell, Aug 18, 2013.

1. WPurcell

WPurcell New Member

How do those of you who use single band setups like the stickshot or single band sling crossbow like Joerg's Christmas tree crossbow prefer to attach a pouch to the band?

I've heard of two different methods, but I've only seen a closeup photo of the method where a hole is punched near the end of the band, and the band is split from there and attached to the pouch in the same way as a normal slingshot band setup.

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

The other version of this method is a loop of paracord connected to the end of the bands to the pouch holes. I have heard this method is not very good, however

3. WPurcell

WPurcell New Member

How is the paracord attached to the band?

4. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I remember seeing one of Joerg's videos where he used a short section of small diameter Chinese tube in place of the paracord which helped to ensure the pouch opening at the end of the shot along with having a pseudo-taper effect also

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

The way I've done it is to cut my bands twice as long and then fold them in half. In the loop that forms at the end, I slipped the piece of paracord, the ends of which attach to the pouch. At the base of the rubber loop, I put a knot around the bands very tightly to prevent the paracord from sliding down. Its a very strong configuration, I've just heard its not good. The suggestion by Ravensbull is a technique I had forgotten about and is supposed to be much better.
    Since not many people shoot stickshots, the band attachment styles are still open for invention and innovation

6. Malleus

Malleus Suspended User

I use a a piece of cord and tie it as shown at the start of this video; [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meae-vWJ7KU[/ame]

I use a shorter length of cord than in the vid, about 6 inches in total.

I like this method because it's quick to change pouches, and I have used it on a standard slingshot too without problems.

7. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I've had problems with paracord, had three failures to release which ended up as pinky knuckle busters(thanks to astars gloves for saving my pinky). Haven't worked up the stones to try other styles of attachment:eek:. Let us know your results.

8. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Reading this made me wonder if the classic attaching method for slingshots would work on a stickshot. So i grabbed a piece of wood and made a stickshot just to try out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just had some shots and i had only two flyers from twenty shots and four hits at six metres. Can' t really tell as i am not used to stickshots...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I was wondering if this would work, I just wasn't brave enough to test it:D!
    I will be playing with that idea soon!

10. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

That' s why i made it long enough and used the twist and tweak method for shooting. I think with some practice i could develop a good shootin' technique but to be honest, i don' t really like shooting stickshots.

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I've only had a few shots with mine. They always seemed like they could be extremely accurate though.

12. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Maybe an ergo stickshot or fingers support stickshot would be better for me. I never saw one of those, did i just had an idea??!:confused:

13. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Well...I built one with finger grooves and a curved design. It should be on here somewhere.
    Sorry if I took your idea,:eek: but I'd really like to see the tokSick version, for sure!

14. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

How could i forget that very nice piece!?

15. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Ha, thanks, don't worry about that! If I built another, I would add more curve to it. It would feel more natural that way.

16. Malleus

Malleus Suspended User

Does anyone know the name of the pouch attachment method in the Romanianshadow video above ?

17. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Thanks Ravensbull for the post about the tubing method--i forgot all about that.

I'll be trying that next with some small diameter silicone rubber tubing I found.

My only stickshot so far used hard nylon rope fibers in a small braid, wishing it was nice, flexible paracord. It shot very unpredictably, but all the shots released. To be on the safe side I left the braid pretty long, maybe 2.5 inches per side (~~63mm).