Potato Cannon - First Pics

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by JoergS, Jun 3, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

The German TV channel that will send a film team over to me on Friday/Saturday wants a potato cannon, just to have something interesting that isn't so warlike.

I want to shoot potatoes against a wall, against watermelons, and also test frozen ones, too. Should look cool on slomo!

The design is a bit like my cannon with winch, but this time I want a faster cocking method. Just a normal pull up slide!

I used the clamp method from the car sized cannon, but the trigger from my trusted old bone crushing crossbow. That trigger has the advantage of less play.

Effective draw length is 106 cm (total length 130 cm). I tested two full TBG bands per side, but then it is cockable only in the vise. But it holds! Normal shooting strength is one TBG band per side, still a nice 36 kg draw.

If you pull up the sled, it locks back automatically thanks to two hooks at the end.

The potatoes fly far, and fast. This hit against a rock left a wet stain and some mashed potatoes, that is all :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This cannon will need much work on the looks. I want to make a bazooka out of it, with a pistol grip. But it already is shooting nicely.

2. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

Nice one! Looking forward to see it in action! I find it amazing how strong birch plywood is when I look at how fragile your creations are and how much draw they have to handle!

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This is great! The idea of the level of mischief and general mayhem that could be caused to my neighbors by potatoes 'randomly' falling from the sky makes me very happy. Also has a great practical application too, I find mashing potatoes by hand to be quite boring. Nice work!

4. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Nice work so far joerg, looking forward to see this finished!

5. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I'm regreting that I could not go to Germany.....
    It seems that the 1680 dolars for the flight were very cheap.......

6. Jörg,

don't shoot the camera man! :eek:
    Dont shoot the micro(phone) man! :eek:

Or should be the "Bildzeitung" come too!

Joe

7. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I was thinking the same thing looking at the hooks--they would be monstrous and unsightly if designed around inferior boards (like all of these in my shop).

Where did the inspiration come from for the hooks? They remind me of the ones on an extension ladder. Maybe a long ladder would be a neat object to weaponize . Possibly a rubber powered battering ram/zombie puncher (vehicle mounted, naturally).

Just brainstorming:D

8. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

The hooks are a result of problem solving. I had no idea how to design the trigger and rear lock, so I just went ahead and made the frame. Then I looked at the setup and found the solution.

I must say this works really well.

Plywood is strong, but you must take care where you put on strain. Levers shouldn't be very long, or else it will crack.

9. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Nice. How about a toothpick shooter, ideal for the foam cap sticking on microphones... ;)

10. roger59

roger59 Member

hey, good luck with your shoot! break a leg ya bastard! (intended in the most endearing way :))

Your Spud Gun is the coolest i have seen; ever!

i have made about four or five of these- powered by air pressure, the biggest about 50mm in bore (and 150 psi) with a 50mm ball valve.

if you request Jorge, i will post lots of photos,
    otherwise not...

Cheers, and hope the spuds are nice and dense!
    Bye for now!

11. Courier

Courier Senior Member

A very cool cannon, Jörg!
    Are the potatoes still eatable after the shot or are they mashed like a pancake? :D
    Good luck on Friday/Saturday. :)

12. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

I'm totally on board with that. But somehow I don't think Martha Stewart would approve of one of these in her kitchen, laughing... [​IMG]

I can't wait to see the slow-mo. Yum... mashed potatoes rule!

13. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Potato into the catch box = still OK.
    Potato against the wall = Wet stain and micro-mashed potatoes.

14. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

you should shoot them again some kind of grating and call it "The Frensh Fries Canon" :cool:

15. Jörg you could make with the smashed potatoes!
    Bayuvarian potatoe pflanzerln!

Joe

16. LEDPunisher

LEDPunisher New Member

Toss a grid of steel wire on the front and call it a day!

17. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

The TV guys said the same thing. However, in reality that does not work. A potato is heavy and it flies fast when fired from this slingshot. The grid will bend, and the frame will be smashed, or at least shifted.

I had the same experience with my Oreo splitter. You can push an oreo through the double blades with your thumb, and separate the filling smoothly from the cookie. But if you shoot the cookie against the blades at 130 mph it will crumble and jam the blades.

18. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Isn´t that just a matter of distance? To find a place where speed is high enough to deliver the force to cut the entire potatoe and slow enough to not blow it to smithereens?

19. AvB

AvB New Member

i think the problem is the geometry of the blades.
    A blade starts with a thin cutting edge and gets thicker at the back.
    each blade will push the material towards the other, when many blades are mounted side by side.

So the potato maybe get stuck on the front side, and the backside pushes untill its destruction.

i think the solution is not a row of blades but a staggered order.

Angeled blades would be an advantage as well as very thin blades

20. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I'm sure it can be solved - but not quickly. There is just no time for experiments. This can easily cost me two or three days, and all I have is two more evenings. I'll need those to complete the weapon.