Post-apocalyptic dandelion latex?

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by WPurcell, Aug 5, 2013.

1. WPurcell

WPurcell New Member

Apparently dandelion roots, like those of taraxacum officinale (common in Europe, Asia, and America) are a decent source of latex.

I'm considering starting a project to determine how good of a slingshot band can be made from this latex.

Since dandelions are easy to cultivate (being, after all, hardy weeds where they are not wanted) I figure this would be a good source of home grown latex in temperate regions.

As I understand it, a small amount of sulphur is helpful in the curing process, so I plan to test chicken yolk as a curing agent.

2. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I am actually planning a movie based on the dandelion concept, story is finished and the book is written. Trailer will be filmed in three weeks, then I hope to raise enough money on Kickstarter.

Not easy to get the Latex from the dandelions, only certain (Russian) types carry enough of it in the roots. Vulcanisation isn't easily done at home, lots of challenges especially if you want Thera Band like quality.

You may want to use accelerators like zinc oxide and MBT-2 in addition to the sulfur.

Good luck, and Keep us updated!

3. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

are you still on holiday joerg ?! we havent had no problems yet :)

j

4. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

That's why I'm building up a rubber-stock...

5. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

One more week of vacation, and certain members are reporting harassments quite a bit.

6. xXdoomXx

Is it from wannimator, there is a big discussion about hypacritissam lol can't spell that it's between thistle I think and wanimator not sure I don't really want to know I just ignore those things. Don't wanna be part of any Side :( that's the only peoblems with Internet you'll never be able to stop cyber bullying.

Have a nice cocktail Joerg :D

J

7. WPurcell

WPurcell New Member

Hmmm, there doesn't seem to be nearly enough sulphur in eggs to do this.

Our post-apocalyptic heroes may have to depend on stockpiles of agricultural sulphur.

I have found out that lard (or most animal fats) should make a good catalyst for the sulphur vulcanization process.

8. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

xXdoomXx,

I think that you are trying to be helpful. But maybe next time a little less help, please.

Yes, I defended myself against Wanimator, who falsely accused me of harassment the other day. THAT is a very serious charge in my opinion!

Mr. Sprave is more than welcome to take a look at the Wolf Spirit (linked) thread, investigate Wanimator's FALSE charge against me and judge for himself whether I am guilty of 'harassing' Wanimator, as he CLAIMS. This person is trouble! And he is behaving strangely.

From what I have personally seen, Wanimator has been one big pain to quite a few members on this Forum. He often makes bold claims and posts very bizarre and rude statements on other people's threads. This creates disruption and understandable irritation from other members on the Forum. He then claims that he made a mis-statement or he meant something else.

I have asked him to behave. Others have also said they have asked him to behave. I don't believe that Wanimator is interested in behaving. I believe he wants attention.

The recent and surprise accusation was a bit too much to ignore. I don't think he wants to be ignored. He said that he was "taking a media break" (linked) from the Forum so that he can 'walk the talk', but I am not seeing any evidence of this. He is still behaving strangely in my opinion.

Thank you xXdoomXx for calling attention to this matter.

My sincerest apologies to Mr Sprave! I truly thought this matter was ended. But it apparently it is not.
    Thistle

9. WPurcell

WPurcell New Member

What do you think of the dandelion latex idea, Thistle?

10. xXdoomXx

Lol sorry Purcell for turning this into a secret person who shall not be name discussion I noisily think It is a very interesting idea and I should search it up well I'll read a bit on it and then tell you what I have learnt :)

Soz

J

11. xXdoomXx

12. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

WPurcell

Dandelion is one of my favorite perennials. People either hate it or love it. I have never actually considered it as a source for latex. I've only ever looked at it in terms of food or medicine.

Small ideas can give birth to big results. It sounds like you may have a reasonable plan of execution to consider such a project. Exploring the possibilities is always an excellent idea.

Just dandelion? What about other flowering plant sources, such as milkweed.

I would require an alternative plan for my post apocalyptic latex source. Desert Dandelion is what we have in the Sonoran Desert. Not the species we are looking for. We have Mexican Poppy. Drought tolerant. Likes poor soil conditions. But as Mr Sprave says, perhaps not easy to get the latex. And quality is still an issue. It would at least add some TBG color to the finished product.

The upcoming dandelion concept will be worth watching. I'm looking forward to it. I am already aware that he has been experimenting with homemade rubber. I still think it's exciting and very encouraging.

If you like, you can see Mr Sprave's results, which is actually pretty good, on this thread that was posted 06-09-2013:
    Homemade Rubber (vulcanisation experiment)

13. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

That pretty well sums up SlingshotBoy.

And on thread, The dandelion sound interesting. I wonder if Milkweed contains the same compounds.