Possible source for plywood?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Righteous_Fondue, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Righteous_Fondue

Righteous_Fondue New Member

2. that wood looks good enough!
    just make sure that you use a thick piece and if there are not any then laminate 2 or 3 bits togeather

3. Righteous_Fondue

Righteous_Fondue New Member

I was planning on laminating them together, would any decent epoxy work?

4. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Two-part epoxy is probably as good as it gets, but I’ve seen posts from experienced frame makers who swear by Gorilla Glue and some speak well of Titebond III. Just make sure you have a total of around a dozen plys in the final board you’ll be cutting up and making into a SS frame. There was a recent thread from one member who used some construction-grade plywood with around five plys and his SS got busted by a frame hit. Good luck with it...

Edit---The thread I mentioned is very recent and still alive -- https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f4/multiplex-plywood-break-32058/

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  5. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Really I just use good old elmers wood glue for my laminating.
    And this seems like a good thread to share a discovery, most good cabinetry is made of some quality ply. So if you know someone getting new cabinets or see some on the side of the road on trash day check it out

6. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Gorilla Glue in good too. Put expect the excess to expand into bubbles that sands right off.

7. RegulusRubber

RegulusRubber Junior Member

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/20...x?gcsct=0ChMIuIihlY7UuwIVSqvnCh3tfwAAGAMgAigA

This is exact the stuff Jörg uses for many of his projects. It is the multiplex plywood.

The best glue for wood on wood is in my opinion Ponal express. It is fast drying and unbreakable.

Here is the datasheet: http://deweb02.henkel.com/henkel%5Cadhesives%5Ctm_acd.nsf/webviewde/6A9A8BB3B7D3D3A2C12572B3004507D7/$File/PonalExpress.PDF?OpenElement

But I think it is more or less the same like Tidebond, Gorilla or Elmers.

For wood on metal or metal on metal only epoxy will work.

8. codido187

codido187 New Member

I've seen a whole brick wall held together with gorilla glue a man built a shed with nthing but gorilla glue an he stood on too of it safely. I prefer tight bond for cabinet work or building a desk I like gorilla glue wood glue for holding a mold together or for fixing cracks in wood lol

9. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Titebond 3 wood glue is the best in my opinion, in fact people use it to make laminate bows that go up to 120 lb, yup 120 lb,titebond 3 wood glue is stronger than most woods in fact

10. codido187

codido187 New Member

I like titebond I also like gorilla glue and Elmer's it's all preference id prefer titebond over Elmer's and I like how it dries