Pork Sausage

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WildBill, Dec 11, 2013.

1. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I'm getting ready to grind up 3 pounds of pork, and I plan on making one pound of Chorizo. That leaves me with two pounds left. I'm considering doing some Italian Sausage with one, but I haven't decided what to do with the other. Does anyone have a good sausage recipe to share? If you have two, go for it- I may forgo the Italian Sausage if it sounds yummy enough.

-Wild Bill

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Mmmm, I wish I had my former co-workers' recipe for Portuguese Linguica - some of the best homemade sausage I've ever had. Much more mild than Chorizo with a very nice garlic flavor. But my favorite all time home made sausage was made with chucker - my step father used to hunt for them and always had it made into summer sausage and sausage sticks.

Man, I could use some homemade sausage right about now. Thanks for that Bill :( (yes, I used a smilie, well frownie)

3. WildBill

Yes, you used one. Oh well...

Chucker... I'm not familiar with that term. Could you elaborate?

-Wild Bill

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Sure - it's actually a partridge, technically a Chukar Partridge, though most people I've run into call them Chuckers. They kind of remind me of grouse. But I'm not a hunter myself so perhaps an experienced hunter could fill in a bit more info. My step-father would hunt them with his boss before he retired, then the hunting trips stopped. Sad for me because I got some of that sausage every year.

[​IMG]

5. WildBill

My apologies for not posting my recipe...

1 pound ground pork
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tbsp minced onion
    1/2 tsp minced garlic
    1 tbsp white vinegar

Mix all of this together. Put in airtight container and chill in fridge for a day.

-Wild Bill

6. WildBill

Ugh, I'm already heading into trouble. I unpacked my grinder, went to the computer to answer this thread, then returned so I could rinse the grinder and set it up. This is what I found-

-Wild Bill

Attached Files:

7. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Pretty much standard cat soup?- Nothing special..

:)

Be

8. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Looks a bit too lively to add to the sausage mix.
    I believe the cat is out of the bag (and into the box).
    There is more than one way to skin a cat.
    Since cats always land on their feet, if you make a cat sausage, will it stand upright if dropped?
    It appears someone has become the cat's paw.
    If you propel the box with rubber, would it become a catty-pult?

Sorry, I know these are terrible, but seemingly justified after hearing about sausage this early in the morning!!

9. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

See, if we lived closer, you could just make up a double batch of one and I could just take it off your hands. You know, so you wouldn't have to worry about that other silly pound of delicious pork.

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Seeing as some of the German members got together at Be's house last week for sausage and slingshots, perhaps there is some magical connection between the two? Hmmm.... Perhaps we should arrange a US slingshot gathering at Bill's place, with plenty of homemade sausage of course! Everyone will be there on Saturday Bill, just FYI.

11. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

ok, this is a "klobása" (kielbasa, wurst, sausage) recipe from my grandfather Ján Kesan.

10 kg meat, grinded at 8mm
    100 g garlic, minced
    30 g black pepper powder
    100 g paprika powder (sweet red pepper, ?cayanne pepper?)
    10 g powder sugar
    ~1 package of cleaned intestines ( to fill )
    1 package of caraway, grinded(basically cumin but not the kind north americans use, not roman cumin, I dunno its confusing, I guess cumin is ok but there is diff in taste between them a bit, 1 package is 40grams)
    ~260 grams of salt, added gradually and tasted in between.

My father likes to add some chilli powder but I dont like it (two times :D ).

You mix all this ( proper exercise for the whole upper body) very thoroughly and let sit for a night in a cold place.

Then you get your meat grinder set with the sausage fill adapter, and fill the intestines ( which you thaw out in lukewarm water before ofc) with the mix. You make connected pairs by twisting one length and severing the ends, making meat nunchaku basically :D

Then you hang them in a cold place for storage and then grill or cook or fry to enjoy them. OR you smoke them for some time..we smoke them for one whole day, some folks smoke it longer. These smoked you can enjoy directly and here is a part of a very recent batch we made (totally 30kg), smoked.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  12. WildBill

How about you just ship me some of those?

-Wild Bill

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

30kg of beautiful sausage!? That's far too much. That needs to be shared with good friends, of the slingshot channel forum variety. So hungry for good sausage....

14. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

haha well yeah the ones you see plus a few pairs of unsmoked is everythin we have left. Everything else is with friends and family. I dunno if sending them to US would be good, in regard to food safety etc.