Popsicle Sticks???

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Withak, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

So, while we all await the reveal on Joerg's video (is he okay? was it a fake?) I've got a little test project I completed and wanted to share with you. I was working on a project with my daughter and I started wondering - could I use the components of her project to make a slingshot, and not just a novelty, but one that could really be a shooter?

Here is what we were working with:

[​IMG]

I know, kind of ridiculous to consider for a slingshot. You probably expect to see something like this:

[​IMG]

Yeah, I'm thinking something a little better. Like something made from multiplex. So, I started building popsicle stick multiplex for myself. I did nothing fancy here. I simply started by laying out a rough square, then layering on another set of sticks using regular old wood glue, and placing each layer at a 90 degree angle to the previous layer. I didn't use clamps, but simply used a stack of books to press them together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see in the photos, these little sticks are far from perfect. Some are straight, some are skewed, some are twisted. I knew that gaps would be inevitable that this 'multiplex' would be imperfect. But, that was okay with me. I grabbed a design I liked from the 'other' forum - one by BC Slinger called the Pitbull. I printed it off and reduced it in scale by about 50% to fit the size of my little improvised piece of plyboard. I glued the template to the board and cut it out with a coping saw (couldn't find my jigsaw at the time).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next came sanding and shaping with a Dremel. The Pitbull design typically has deeper shaping on the edges as well as a pinkie hole in the base of the handle, but I was unsure how strong this would be and wanted to leave it a bit more intact for strength. After sanding, it got 5 coats of BLO and several layers of spray poly (which caused me a few problems in the drying) and here is what I ended up with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got it set up with a set of TBB bands for starters. Initial testing shows this will shoot just fine. And, I'm certain this could handle at least a single layer of TBG. It's compact and light and very comfortable in my hand. I took some shots TTF and can see this is a perfectly usable slingshot.

As you can see, the 'slats' of wood run opposite directions on each side of the slingshot. These slats of wood, with their imperfections and little gaps and spaces make me think of an old house or even an old wooden Adirondack chair.

There you have it, my "Pocket Popsicle" slingshot. I'd love to hear what you think.

2. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

I'm just in awe, this is amazing!

3. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Damn E, I can't stop laughing! I just can't believe how good it is. Popsicle sticks...priceless. That tbb looks like one I used to know.

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks AngelicScars!

I know, it is kind of funny. I did it as nothing more than a little whim. But, in the end, I was really surprised at how well it turned out. This is a legitimate slingshot. Now, I wonder what else I can make from these things. I also wonder if they make popsicle sticks out of purpleheart? ;)

5. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Good job , man
    :)

6. Otees

Otees Another Member

Hahaha I did this as well but yours is by far better :p

7. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Do we have the right to do this I have to try this lol great little shooter

J

8. KnuckieG

KnuckieG New Member

Absolutely awesome!!! I don't know how strong wood glue is but epoxy resin is extremely strong. I would be tempted to try it with matchsticks or even chopsticks ;)

9. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

10. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Man! It came out great! Now I want to see with tooth pics!!!

11. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

great idea and very well done!

seems that your book method worked well. clamping too hard would be even worse:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14Mkc63EpMQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14Mkc63EpMQ[/ame]

if not already, with clamps and epoxy i'm pretty sure it would take triple TBG.

12. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks everyone for your kind words and feedback! A little encouragement is nice to keep the creative juices flowing!

Thanks Otees! Do you have any pictures? I'd love to see it.

I encourage it xXdoomXx! Do it! And show us your photos!

I considered trying 2-part epoxy, but the wood glue was right there, and since this was just a 'fun' project, I didn't get too serious.

Thanks BV! Don't think that hasn't crossed my mind, in fact, I considered it before the popsicle sticks. I've also got a bag of wood skewers for shish kebobs that I've considered trying out. I'll see what time allows me to do. Maybe in the meantime someone else will beat me to it?

Interesting video, thanks for posting that. I've wondered about that very question but never thought to look for information on it. Don't you just love resources like YT? Thanks for the compliment.

14. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

That gives" building" up my slingshot a completely other sense.;)

15. Bighaze51

Bighaze51 Professional Amateur Dude

When I first opened up this thread, I wasn't really expecting that as a finished product. That is SO cool!! I like it!!

16. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks guys. I was the first to admit I was surprised at the results. Now imagine this same method in the hands of a real woodworker. Poor man's multiplex. Maybe next I'll have my daughter paint of bunch of sticks different colors and make my own poor man's spectraply!

17. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Ha! This is extremely creative! I am amazed by how great that looks, you did a great job! Very impressed by this project

18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks Will! Good to see you still popping in from time to time. How are you enjoying our typhoon this weekend? Hard to believe we've just had one of the driest summers on record, now rolling into the wettest September on record. Welcome back to Oregon! Is work going to be starting soon for you?

19. LW

LW New Member

Very nice, I like post like this. Slingshots made of materials that were not intended for this purpose. This one is very creative.

When I walk through a store, I always see things that can be converted into a slingshot...that's kind of sick... :eek:

wood glue seems to be ok, one band TTG should be doable. Although the fork tips have a decent wide, I guess about 30 mm.