polycoat over oil????

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by jakobkurt32, Aug 27, 2013.

1. jakobkurt32

jakobkurt32 Member

Hey.

i was just wondering if it works when you put water based poly coat over wood oils?? just because the ois bring out the patterns better.... then i also want them sealed off..

2. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I have done that many times, for the same reason - nicer look.

I have encountered no problems doing this, and the results are very nice. Plus, the look never changes, everything is perfectly sealed.

3. jakobkurt32

jakobkurt32 Member

thanks jörg! will give it a go!!!!

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I'm glad you asked this question, I was wondering the same thing myself. I do recall reading that some oils are 'drying' oils like linseed and tung while other oils remain essentially 'wet'. I'm curious if it's a good idea to be certain and stick with the 'drying' oils if you're going to seal it in poly or varnish.

5. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

My experiences say that it does not matter. The first two layers of the poly will look a bit strange (a bit uneven). I sand it down after that second layer to get a watertight, even base for the third and fourth coat. Then it is perfect.

6. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

I always wait till it is dry(2 or 3 day after a long soak)just to be safe.

7. WPurcell

WPurcell New Member

I like boiled linseed oil. It is relatively inexpensive, is easy and safe to work with, and produces good results.

As for polycoats, there is a wide variety of good ones to choose from.

8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

i like verathane brand, you can foam brush it on till its thick and it polishes like glass. easy water clean up as well.