Pointers for building a natural fork

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by smallbore, Jan 31, 2014.

1. smallbore

smallbore New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm new here, I'm looking for some tips to make a natural fork slingshot - I have some forks cut from a gumtree from some pruning a month ago but am not sure where to go, I could not find any stickies or other FAQ so what are your tips for making a natural fork

Thanks

2. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Take off the bark and decide where you want to put your bands, then cut the arms to the right length, sand it down and happy shootin!

3. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Follow sederath's advice.

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Yup, Saderath REALLY knows what he is talking about when it comes to naturals. Follow his tutorial and you won't go too far wrong :)

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Yep, Saderath is the king of naturals! I recently redid an older slingshot of mine using his influence, it's far better than when I first made it.

6. smallbore

smallbore New Member

Excellent, thanks for the tips - I'll find some photos of what I achieved on the weekend, not sure if they are sufficient or not.

7. smallbore

smallbore New Member

I've been working on 2 natural forks - chisel, spokeshave and the tools I could access - probably need to lower the gaps between the forks

One I have finger grooves and it seems to be a good fit for target shooting

I have not chopped off the ends yet as I'm not sure what to do for bands

Will put up some pics when I get them to shoot and finish them

Attached Files:

8. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Looks good so far smallbore,
    That first one will make a damn fine shooter. I love working with gumtrees.
    Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like one of the arms may be cracked in the last photo, between the dark eyes.
    Do you know what kind of gum tree did you get them from? Looks similar to the lemon scented gums that grow where i am

9. smallbore

smallbore New Member

Thanks, think they are some variant of spotted gum

does not appear to have a crack, have tested in a vice per joerg's rambone testing video :)

10. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Must just be my eyes then, can't wait tomsee it finished

11. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 Member

Just be careful that you don't accidentally break a fork otherwise a standard catapult may very well become a pfs like one of mine is becoming lol. All well I needed a pfs anyway so is all good.