Pocket Predator Shooting Contest, fun, prizes and skills

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Predator, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Predator

Predator Junior Member

Well Guys and Gals, it's TIME!
    We're running the annual Pocket Predator summer shooting contest.

Because of the increased skill level of the slingshot shooting populace... the official target will reflect that now.
    These contests are open to ANYBODY on the planet, no restrictions on location, age or sex.... Furthermore, you can use ANY type of rubber/latex powered weapon, slingbows, crossbow type slingshots, slingrifles, wrist braced slingshots, non wrist braced... It's an OPEN contest!

THE ONLY RESTRICTIONS ARE:
    1) YOU CAN NOT USE LASERS OR ENHANCED OPTICS LIKE A MAGNIFIED SCOPE.
    2) YOU MUST SUPPORT THE WEAPON YOURSELF, NO BENCHRESTS, PRONE SHOOTING OR RESTING THE ELBOWS ON A SOLID SURFACE.
    SHOULDER STOCKS, WRIST BRACES, ARE ALLOWED... AND IF YOU WANT TO SHOOT WHILE SITTING DOWN, THAT'S FINE TOO.

TWO ways to win!
    First prize is a TubeMaster Slingshot made from black, 1/2" thick ballistic rated G10, and entry into the every shooter's $50.00 drawing.
    Second prize... The 2nd way to win... simply put up a video of you shooting at the target and under the conditions shown (you don't even have to hit the thing).... EVERY video counts as one entry and one chance to win another $50.00 drawing. A person can enter as many times as they wish, and every video counts as an entry!

Requirements to make it count as an official entry video:
    One official target printed out from http://www.pocketpredator.com/MatchTargetSheet.pdf OR you can simply shoot at real matches placed a minimum of 2" apart.
    A barrier of some sort, set at a minimum of 33' from the target.
    A way to prove the distance.
    You must stand behind the barrier.
    You must shoot 10 shots.
    Ammo should be .60 cal and smaller, to big and the paper is punched to much to tell anything.
    Everything must be a continuous video shot, no pauses or stops, unedited and legible in frame. It is also advisable to prove no video cutting by either playing a radio in the background, audible to the audience... or showing an analog clock in frame at the same time when shooting.
    Contests start on the 1st of the Month and run to the last day of the Month, closing at 6 pm Central Standard Time of that day.
    On the video, You must state your name and that you're shooting for, "the pocketpredator.com shooting contest". You must show the unpunched paper target OR the unbroken matches. If shooting at the paper target you must sign and date it before it can be official... if shooting at real matches, you must state your name and the date so that it is audible for the viewer. This is essential in a monthly contest so if a person gets a perfect target done... he wouldn't be able to enter the same video month after month, the date being there helps to prevent viewer confusion.
    Also, the target and you standing behind the barrier must be in frame when videoing the shooting.

THERE IS ONE SPECIAL RULE... IF YOU ARE SHOOTING AT REAL MATCHES AND YOU GET ONE TO FIRE UP FROM YOUR SHOT, THAT IS WORTH 10 POINTS. OTHERWISE ALL MATCH HITS, BREAKS OR VISIBLE SCRAPES ARE WORTH 1 POINT. SHOOTING AT THE PAPER TARGET A MAXIMUM OF 10 POINTS IS POSSIBLE, BUT IF YOU ARE SHOOTING AT REAL MATCHES.. A MAXIMUM OF 100 POINTS IS POSSIBLE!!!

Here's the video:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2KWnkiMkn8[/ame]

Go here to download the target:
    http://www.pocketpredator.com/seven.html

http://pocketpredator.com/gallery/x158.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

aahh damn, i don't have the space for this, too bad:mad:

3. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Sigh... I'd be happy if I'd hit the paper :D

No really, I think I might give this a try. What a nice idea with a competition like this, Mr Hays!

4. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

Hey Bill.
    I was wondering, what do the points contribute to?
    Thanks, KW

5. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

I am in !!! I don't know if I will reach even 1 point but will be a lot of fun ! I hope many fellow trying this to have tons of videos to enjoy ... thanks Mr Bill Hayes for the contest ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

6. Arturo Borquez

Is really Predator Bill Hayes ? or I am suspecting something ? (a new 1 post account) ... I remember Bill posted here in the past, or maybe his account was erased during the site migration ? ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

7. Predator

Predator Junior Member

Hello,
    I am not sure what you're asking...
    If you hit a match, whether printed or real it counts as 1 point... if you can light a match that counts as 10 points....
    You get 10 shots, so it is theoretically possible to get 100 points if shooting at a set of real matches... whereas shooting at paper, no match lighting is possible so you can only get a max of 10 points.
    However, and it's a BIG HOWEVER.... it is VERY difficult to get a match strike/lightup... so the odds of someone getting it done on video is actually very low.

The person with the most points is the winner.

////////////////////

Also, you may start making videos anytime you like and they will count in the contest... remember, for the money draw, you don't even have to hit ONE match... EVERY video is considered an entry into the drawing for the money.. there is no limitation on the amount of videos/entries.... so post away.

Of course only your highest score will be the one that counts towards the winner's prize... but ALL videos submitted count as entries into the money draw.

It is my intention to get as many different people out there shooting slingshots and having fun as possible.... lots and lots of videos will contribute to that desire.... and when people see you guys shooting at small targets such these... it will attract the attention of practitioners of other shooting sports as well.

Remember Guys/Gals.... only a scant three years ago most people didn't even think it was possible to do the things we find commonplace now...
    Back then if someone would have suggested hitting a can more than 10 times in a minute, or cut playing cards, snipe bottle caps, or even light matches with your slingshot were possible... well most people would have thought you are either crazy or a liar.
    That's what contests like this help to do... they raise the bar for what people consider possible... setting the stage for the next level of innovation.. things we haven't even thought about or imagined could quite possibly be coming just because YOU decide to participate... inspiring others you've not even heard of yet.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  8. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I got only one 5m to mesure the distance and i am pretty sure i wont hit one match of the ten but i will make a vid so you guys can laugh at me :p

9. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Everything about this is super cool.

Videos like yours opened my eyes to what is possible with slingshots. Getting more of this out there can only serve to bring more people (and their ideas and skills) to the sport. Then we all win.

Now to scare up some matches that don't need a strike-strip....

10. Predator

Predator Junior Member

Good deal, the most important thing is to just have fun!

11. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Thx for the great contest, I am not the best shooter but I will try it ;)

12. Predator

Predator Junior Member

Having fun is all we can hope and ask for!

Also, remember Guys... you CAN use your slingshot rifles and such... just no lasers or magnified sights...
    I know I am much more accurate with a slingrifle than with a regular slingshot... so I imagine there should be quite a few who will be able to show a little something.

So far the regular slingshot guys are up with 2 out of 10... I'm sure there's more than a few who can "match"!

13. Arturo Borquez

Yeah that's right, FUN ... I am charging the camera batteries LOL ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

14. HandForged13

HandForged13 New Member

Hey, I would like to try this contest, just as a test of marksmanship. I might enter it. By the way, are standard hunting arrows ok?

15. Predator

Predator Junior Member

Today is the official first day of the contest!

Here's the leaderboard so far:

MJ 2 vid, with 3 pts.
    BeanFlip 5 vid, with 10 pts
    BC Slinger, 1 vid, with 2 pts..

Believe me when I tell you, the picture is not nearly as nice as the actual piece... one day I'll buy a decent camera!

[​IMG]

If a right hand hold shooter wins then a solid black ballistic rated G10 TubeMaster Sniper will be substituted... if so desired.

Remember, even if you don't hit a thing... you are still in the running to win the money prize... EVERY video submitted counts towards that!

16. Nice, great, Amazing, and absolutely beautiful Slingshot!

Joe

17. sietse2209

sietse2209 New Member

where do you have to send the vid to?

cool conters i gonna train haha
    i dont have a yard as long as 10 meters is a big shed okey?

18. Predator

Predator Junior Member

Hello,
    Just post the video to this thread and that will assure the easiest and most convenient viewing.

The 10 meters can be anywhere... a yard, shed, park... where ever. It would be a good idea to post your training videos as well because it doesn't matter whether you even hit the thing or not, it's a video and it counts towards bettering your chances of winning the money prize, regardless of being the top shooter or not!

19. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

And I thought I was doing awesome at 25 ft. Ha! Certainly not 33 ft. If I thought I had a chance, I'd make space. Tear down a wall. When mom passes out or starts screaming like a Banshee, blame it on one of my brothers.

They love me so much. :p

20. Predator

Predator Junior Member

Quick update:

MJ 2 vid, with 3 pts.
    BeanFlip 6 vid, with 13 pts (He's had two match lights!)
    BC Slinger, 1 vid, with 2 pts..
    GrayWolf, 2 vid, with 3 pts.

///////////////////////

Thistle,
    Time to bring the pain Baby!
    Don't think about failure... just ignore emotion altogether. The fastest way to be a Sniper is to ACT like a Sniper... the fastest way to shoot a slingshot well, just do it and don't worry about anything else.... I've known a few women that can absolutely outshoot most men... they all have one thing in common... they just believe they can and their attitude makes it happen.
    Take for example BeanFlip... after a looonnnng time trying to light a match he finally got one to light... then within a day he was able to get another one to light up no problem at all.... we all seem to limit ourselves, it's usually just a confidence thing.... ACT like the world's best shot, and you'll be more than half the way there!