The Slingshot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've had a Pocket Predator Hathcock Target Sniper for a month or more and I've been having a problem with my shots either going very high (about 4-6 inches at 30+ feet) or going to the right (about 2-4 inches at the same range). I either get the shot going high or going to the right, never high and to the right at the same time, either one or the other. I emailed PP and they got straight back to me with some suggestions, gave it a try and it worked for about a day (yesterday), I go to shoot today and the same problem pops up even thoughI'm doing everything the same, i changed my band size from 30mm straight cut 250mm long down to 25mm straight cut 190mm long and it improved a bit but I think its because the shots drop more because its seriously under powered.

I'm shooting in the same style as Bill Hays does, half butterfly drawing to about 1 meter, touching my cheek lightly on the bands while dropping my chin to my collar bone a bit to get my.eye as close to the bands as possible.

Any advice on what I might be doing wrong? This is getting extrmely frustrating as you can imagine!

Thanks.

P.S I thought it might be because of the fork width I could only use the notch on the forks as an aimpoint If i was at a certain range so I increased the range a bit and the shots were going even higher.

·
Administrator
10,889 Posts
I assume you have checked all the basics like the pouch is perfectly centered, the ties on both sides of the pouch are the same size and weight, shooter is square in your hand and not shifting when you draw, etc.

·
2,511 Posts
Have you tried shooting it with an anchored draw? To your chin or cheek? My accuracy is fairly wild when shooting butterfly.

What was your previous set up before you got the Pocket Predator?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I've tried anchoring to my cheek and did pretty well but I'm tryin to do semi buttryfly so I can get good power without having to double up my bands the only problem.im.having really is the shots are going way high. I might try trimming a little off the width of my pouch incase something is snagging on my fingers.

How do you guys hold your pouch, might help ti know how to do it properly lol

·
Banned
3,613 Posts
Sounds like you need a center hole in your pouch. That and try sticking to an anchored draw till your dead on, then move to the advanced techniques. A lot of issues pop up when trying to progress too fast, I had issues at first when trying to shoot pfs too early on when I started.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was thinking a centet hole might help, my brother has my leather punch right now, though and alwaus forgets to bring it back lol guess I'll give anchoring a go again I'll just have to double up the bands I guess.

Any other explainations or ideas on what I might be doing wrong except jumping in at the deed end? Lol

·
Registered
398 Posts
+1 with Scooby on preferring an anchored draw and with dolomite on a pouch with a center hole. I tip my hat to everybody who shoots butterfly with unvarying consistency and killer accuracy, but I’m just not one of them. I just don’t get satisfactory accuracy or consistency when shooting butterfly and I think there’s a reason the archery crowd uses an anchored draw.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was doing okay yesterday with half butterfly hitting a wee deoderant can 8 out of 10 times from about 35 feet the tried again today and just couldn't get that hit point down! So frustrating hiw I do fine one minute then it all goes nuts the next.

·
aka Whitehawk!
4,698 Posts
Regarding your varying consistency in shooting, I find I experience something similar. I can take a slingshot and do a decent job one day, go out the next day and miss the target altogether. +1 to Dolo's hole in the pouch and anchor point suggestions - they are certainly very important. Also, as Arturo, one of the masters of full butterfly shooting - it's all about the release. Consistency in your release is critical to accuracy according to him. Then, there's practice. The more you practice, the better you'll get.

Lastly, there is the head game. Like golf, I find my accuracy with a slingshot is affected not only by the factors mentioned above, but also by where I'm at in my head that day. If I'm preoccupied with a problem or just unable to focus, my accuracy suffers. Sometimes I just have to say "enough is enough" and stop for the day until I can return with a clear head.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been shooting the exact same frame for about 3 months now. Using a few different band combos. I am sure it is not the frame. I have never been as consistently accurate with any other frame. I think it is because I was able to get this frame in a large size, I have really big hands. Just stick with it and keep all the other variables in check.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts