Plain Purple Plastic Slingshot

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Drew_Bilbrey, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Drew_Bilbrey

Drew_Bilbrey Drew Bilbrey

This is my first HDPE slingshot. Made from a laundry detergent bottle. Had to cut the mold off it because it stuck a bit and it has a few bubbles in the handle but its tough as can be. Not the prettiest slingshot and the next one will have scales on the handle, but I'm happy with it. :) Any suggestions on getting it to not stick in the mold? I sanded it very fine (1500 grit) and greased it as well. Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

The color and satin finish look just fine to me. Nice job, especially for an early attempt. I have found acetate won't stick to epoxy. Some packaging has large flat expanses of it that could be cut into strips and attached to the mold surface edges??? Just noodling.

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Very nice!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

4. If you line the edges of the mould with non stick baking paper

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

5. Drew_Bilbrey

Thanks! I'll try that next time.

6. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Very nice work. The TBG actually contrasts really nicely with the purple :)

7. keno

keno New Member

Can somebody help me out please I'm trying to get the blueprints to make my own slingshot

8. keno

keno New Member

That was a very nice slingshot you made

9. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

There are some in the templates section on the forum but being honest I got a lot of my templates by sticking 'slingshot template' or 'slingshot pdf' into Google images. Depends what you want though.

Happy hunting :)

10. keno

keno New Member

Can't figure it out would you be able to help me out with that please if not its okay I understand

11. Drew_Bilbrey

This was pretty much a variation of the shape of a rambone. I'd sketched it out at the time, but that's what it is. As scooby was saying the tutorial section is full of great templates. It's on the homepage here on the forum. You'd just have to dig through them. What kinda template did you have in mind?

12. lucas414

lucas414 New Member

Sure people here will be happy to help you, what kind of design where you tinking of, an y or an w shaped slingshot, hammer grip? Thumb and index finger support grip? We have designs for about anything

Slingshots forever.

13. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Nice job! Looks like you did a good job of getting the air pockets out of that sometimes hard-to-work-with laundry detergent jug HDPE. I’ve had some troubles with that stuff. I think the coloring additives in the laundry jugs tends to keep the HDPE from getting really soft and malleable, so that it’s more prone to keeping air stuck inside it. That’a shame, too, because the laundry jugs come in a great rainbow of colors.

Just out of curiosity --- how did you go about forcing the air pockets out?

14. keno

keno New Member

I'm a pretty big guy I like to shoot sideways any suggestions

15. keno

keno New Member

And thank you

16. Drew_Bilbrey

Thanks. Honestly I didn't get them ALL out. Most of them though. I melted it down in a toaster oven in a mold then pressed it very firmly in my wood clamps until it was cool. Sanded it until I was tired of it. Lol. This was a rookie build of mine. I'm thinking now about going back and doing some more to it now. Maybe add some wood scales to it.

17. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Looks good. Dig the color.

18. Djones02021985

Djones02021985 New Member

Another great job. I really like that purple colour too :) and don't worry, I won't argue on this thread.lol :)

19. Drew_Bilbrey

Thanks guys. I did this one several months back and am seriously contemplating redoing it. I think I can improve upon it. I've grown in my patience since this one. Lol

20. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I somehow missed this one when you posted it waaaaaaay back in January! But I see it now that the thread has come back to life. Nice work on that one Drew. I wasn't even aware you worked in anything but wood!