Pencil Crossbow

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by MrJoeGuy99, Dec 21, 2013.

1. MrJoeGuy99

MrJoeGuy99 New Member

This is a pencil crossbow i made with 4 pencils, some rubber bands and a clip. I would appreciate some constructive criticism

Attached Files:

2. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Constructive criticism? Ok, turn the projectile round so the pointy end hits first and hurts more! ;)

Fun little idea though :)

3. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

That’s a great entry for the “How To Have Fun In The Office And P!ss The Boss Off” contest! I like the it, but it has one downside -- kids have access to all the components and I suspect many of them would be tempted to shoot sharpened pencils--sharpened end first.

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

+1

5. MrJoeGuy99

MrJoeGuy99 New Member

some pencils, like the ones that have the rubber on the end, just slip out of the clip and randomly go off, i learnt that the hard way, but apart from that, yeah, i've tried that.

6. LuckyDuck

LuckyDuck New Member

Well, I'll try building one of these as my first project. I'll get back to you on how it went.

[​IMG]

7. MrJoeGuy99

MrJoeGuy99 New Member

i bet with some more time and effort, you can make a better one than this, plus, does anyone have any ideas of how i can make the pencil crossbow better?

8. Otees

Otees Another Member

There that is a cool pencil crossbow and a great start. Constructive criticism from me would be to make maybe another layer of rubber to make it stronger, reinforce the cross section so it doesn't break under force (maybe lash it with twine or use some tape but the rubber bands look pretty secure) and maybe wrap a rubber band around the clip which makes a stronger grip so the tension from the rubber band being pulled back doesn't make the pencil misfire. But they are just maybes and are what I would have done. Besides that great job its an awesome little shooter.

9. LuckyDuck

LuckyDuck New Member

I don't have enough rubber bands. I might raid a supply store. Best idea so far would be a flat pencil for ammo. Easier for the clip to hold onto compared to the hexagon honeycomb of the pencil.

[​IMG]

10. MrJoeGuy99

MrJoeGuy99 New Member

the clip is just a privilege if you don't want to hold the elastic band, it takes about 7 bands to make and it took me 20 mins, 1 more pencil and you're good to make it

11. LuckyDuck

LuckyDuck New Member

Well I know I can't be arsed to hold the elastic band, so it's good you added that little nicety. :D