Pasta

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WildBill, Nov 30, 2013.

1. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Ghosth talked about turkey soup in the Black Friday thread, and I mentioned that I'd be making Turkey casserole with the carcass gleanings. Well, before you can make a proper casserole, you need proper pasta- and the grocery store garbage is not proper pasta. So here's a pictorial journey of pasta.

First, get your water on (pic1). I use 4 or 5 quarts and add a dollop of olive oil and a few fennel seeds. I'll have the pasta ready before the water is boiling and, with a bit of practice, you will too.

Next, take 2 cups of flour, a small palmful of salt and whatever spices you prefer (I used sage, basil and oregano in this case) and mix them in a bowl (pic2). Now take two eggs, about two tablespoons of olive oil and 1/3 cup of water and mix them together in a separate bowl (pic3). Now pour that into the flour and knead it until you have a nice ball of dough (pic4). Next, separate the dough into 4 fairly equal parts. If you have a pasta machine, follow the next set of rules. If you don't, then do this- roll each ball on a well floured counter with your rolling pin. Cut the pasta with a pizza cutter.

For those with a pasta cutter, flour your table and set up your machine and your setting racks (pic5). Run the balls through the machine at the maximum thickness, fold them in half and then do it again (pic6 &7). Continue rolling each strip until they are of your desired thickness. Once they are pressed, wipe both sides of each strip with flour (pic8) so that all pieces are well covered. As you can see, I cut them in half at this point (pic9) for easy handling. Now, run each through the cutter- in this case, the fettuccine cutter (pic10).

Toss this pasta into the water, which should be close to a boil. If it isn't then wait until it is. The pasta should cook in about three minutes. Note that, unlike store-bought pasta, this will not boil over no matter how hot it is. That's what you get when you have real pasta- no stove mess.

Home-made pasta is really easy and tastes better... infinitely better... than anything you'll get at a store or even most restaurants. Try it! You'll be converted.

-Wild Bill

Attached Files:

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

A man of many talents.

3. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Delicious!

BUT: As I recognize that oil floating on the pasta water, I feel
    like having to ask you a question:

Do you agree that sauce is the most important part about
    pasta?- If yes, can you follow the thought that the oil will
    rather "seal" the pasta and reduce friction/stickyness of the pasta?
    I was stold that in Italy they don´t use oil in the water,
    to improve the pasta/sauce friction coefficient..

Plus: I LIKE THAT PASTA MACHINE!!!

Enjoy your meal!

Greetings,

Be

4. WildBill

Pasta doesn't take talent- just the patience to learn how to do it and a bit of practice. And said patience and practice is well worth it.

-Wild Bill

5. WildBill

In America, pasta is used for far more than Italian cooking. For this recipe, I used the oil since it's a turkey casserole with no issues regarding absorbing the gravy (In Italy the sauce is referred to as gravy). For a true Marinara, you would be correct- but if you are doing a baked pasta dish (like Lasagna or the like) the oil wouldn't make a difference. Furthermore, if you make your gravy/pasta transfers while both are piping hot, the oil will not interfere. I've tried it both ways and had no problems or flavor issues in either.

-Wild Bill

6. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

When i saw pasta in newest posts I though about flour+water as ammunition. Make the dough, roll balls, dry it. shoot it. Gluten shots!

Also I think true pasta has no eggs in the dough.

7. WildBill

True pasta is Chinese, not Italian, and has both egg and non-egg variations.

Weaponizing pasta? Joerg already did that-

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSjdPufiXec[/ame]

-Wild Bill

8. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

You HAD to bring it to this level did you, sigh. Ok, may take me a while to find the proper subject, and someone to run the camera, but I will reply in kind!

That was nicely done btw.

9. WildBill

Good Sir, when it comes to cooking, I live at this level. By all means, add to this forum your expertise in quality cooking- it's the first step along the road to thread hijacking.

-Wild Bill

10. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I feel bad for the people who think this forum is just about slingshots.

11. WildBill

Indeed- it's more about the people who love slingshots, and I've noticed some things about the folks who love slingshots. They are resourceful, intelligent, have multiple talents and feel kindred towards one another. I do not know of many things that can bind (with TBG) so many people of different backgrounds and places upon the earth than what I see here. Yes, slingshots are fun- both making them and shooting them... but this community is quite addictive.

-Wild Bill