Package from BeMahoney

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Withak, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I've been late getting this posted, so my apologies for not getting it out sooner.

A while back, we were having a discussion on finishes and Be had mentioned one of his favorite finishes "Le Tonkinois". It's a mix of tung and linseed oil with varnish. I did a little research and found that the only place to get it in the US was through a single importer. With shipping, 1 liter was almost $50 USD! That's a bit steep for something I haven't tried before. But Be thought I'd like it, so he offered to send some from Germany. I told him I'd only agree to that if I could send him something in return. In the end, he sent me a box of items, which you'll see below.

He sent a nice sized bottle of the Le Tonkinois, which should last me a while. The second bottle is Gelomat - you mix this with Le Tonkinois to take the finish from glossy to matte in various steps. A 3:1 mix of LeT to Gelomat gives you a satin finish, while a 1:1 ratio would give you a matte finish. It's like getting 4 different products in one.

Next he included a tool for sanding. It's the type of tool he used in building scale models for his work as an architect. It came with some really tough 100 grain sandpaper. He warned me not to be too aggressive with this as it will take a lot of material off quickly. He's right, it works really well. The 'airfoil' shape of the sander allows you to move over flat and curved surfaces quickly. It really works much better than just sandpaper alone. This is already a tool I'm using regularly, it is very simple, but very effective.

Finally, he included more of that 100 grain sandpaper, some black sanding/buffing material and a strip of adhesive foam (still not sure what to do with that yet - we need to talk about that one).

My thanks to Be for sending this wonderful stuff to me! I really appreciate it. He's been a great guy to get to know off the forum as well as on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  2. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Wow! Thats nice!!! We have so many different tools and materials around the world, it is nice to make these exchanges!!!!
    Congratulations to both of you!

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

What an awesome box of goodies! Very generous and thoughtful Be! Happy building, Withak!

4. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

You generous beer drinking friendly dude and great little hrawk shooter be your a generous guy

J:p

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I'm digging the exchanges/trades. It's a great way to get to know folks.

Thanks Will!

Just to be clear, he didn't send the slingshot, it's one I'm working on. I wouldn't want him to get blamed for that one - it's still pretty rough looking. But his sanding tool is helping me get that shape in order. I need to keep working on it, it's not there yet :)

6. xXdoomXx

I was thinking that

J

7. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hey Withak,

nice to see that stuff "in production" at the other end of the world!
    The 'airfoil' shape of the sander allows you to work on different concave
    radiuses;- that sanding paper lasts pretty long if used with not too much
    pressure..
    That USO, "unidentified sanding object" is for the convex surfaces/radiuses.
    I tried to describe that you will be having best results to mount that self-
    adhesive foam on a 2" wide plastic ruler or something.. due to its length
    it might almost work like a belt sander.. But due to the foam it`s not creating
    "flat" surfaces e.g. on a grip but smooth convex roundings...

The 100 grit sanding paper can be used to replace that of the files..

I am really curious what you will say about the oiling results..

kind regards,

Be

8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Warning! Threadjack ahead! News to my slingbrothers and sisters!

Dolomite is a Daddy now! Repeat, Daddy Dolo. Baby girl Perfection!

Threadjack ending, return to normal activity.

9. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

I knew it (in "Paradise"..)!- Well done!

Herzlichen Glückwunsch,
    alter Wemser! - PROST!

All the best of the world for your little family!

kindest regards, cheers!!!

Be

10. dolomite

dolomite Banned

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Yeah!!! Way to go daddy Dolo! Great thread jacking news! Though I think that's important enough for it's own thread! Congratulations to you and Mrs Dolo! Your life will never be the same - and that's a good thing. I love my daughter to death. If you ever need some input from another daddy of a little girl, feel free to PM or email any time! :D

12. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Right on Dolomite! Congratulations to you and your family!

13. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Hey Dolo, great news. Congratulations to you and your wife!

Oh, and Withak: Very nice stuff you got from BE. I am looking forward to your first results!

14. xXdoomXx

Congrats dolo :):):):):):) is she still coming or already in yo arms. What are you gonna call her Joerg? Hehe lol jk

J

15. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Dolo, that is great news! Congratulations! Have you made her a slingshot yet? ;)

Withak and Be, nice stuff :)

16. noah013

noah013 Member

Congratulations dolomite!

17. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Congrats Dolo! She will be daddy's girl I'm sure.