Ouch!!!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Markatrog, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Markatrog

Markatrog Member

Just had a 50 mm lead ball fail to leave the leather pouch, the return single band carry it back to my index finger right above the first knuckles I I want to keep shooting but that was a lot painful. What, pray tell did I do wrong? Help!!!

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Whatever it was you did wrong, I hope you got it on video so you can post it on Youtube and let it go viral.

-Wild Bill

3. Markatrog

Markatrog Member

Has this happen to any one else?

4. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

So you said "single band" meaning stickshot? If so, you can always make it easier on yourself by starting to learn to shoot it with waaay lighter bands/ammo..? Or, as I did with a bad experience (or 3) just abandon the concept to prevent further misfortune and shoot your rowdy lead with two forks and sick rubber at brutal speed and power. I found that was a lot less frustrating than worrying about the next mishap...

5. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Wait a minute... I misread this initially... 50mm..?! You must mean .50 caliber..?

6. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I also saw the 50mm on the initial post, Ravensbull. This is a General Patton issue- if you're gonna shoot cannonballs, get yourself a goddam cannon!

-Wild Bill

7. Markatrog

Markatrog Member

3/4 of a inch, 20 mm, live in the USA still dint get the meteoric thing! Better now. Thanks for carrying. Still thinking that should have used 2 band set up.

8. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

if its single band,... i have done this. you need to put the pouch attached to string first, then the string to the rubber. or else the pouch will not open. i shot myself twice before i realized something was wrong lol. once in the ass and once in the thigh.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  9. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

you got that? the pouch needs to attach to paracord on both sides, then the paracord attaches to the rubber. and you should flip it when you shoot it also.

10. Markatrog

Markatrog Member

Ok, fork shooter with sing bands drawing 34 inches. Still new at this. The large balls were a mold I bought at Fisher Men's Warehouse. Don't Joe why a warehouse doesn't Cary 3/8 mold ? Finger has miner swelling and soar like a hammer on the thumb.

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

So if you're shooting a fork with a single-layer band setup - what band types are you using - regular latex? Theraband? Two things come immediately to mind - first, how big is your pouch? If it's too big, it can fail to open or wrap around the ammo, especially bigger ammo and fail to release it properly. Second, if your bands are too light for the ammo, that can also be a problem - one I've experienced myself. If your pouch isn't too big, then check your bands. Maybe go to a second layer of bands and see if that helps. Otherwise, try going down to some smaller ammo and see if the problem goes away. If it does, it's likely to be a mis-match of bands and pouch to ammo size/weight.

12. Markatrog

Markatrog Member

[​IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/
    13/12/23/mare6y2y.jpg

Here is the shooter

13. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Is it antler? That's a sweet little shooter! My first suggestion for your problem with the RTS (return to sender) problem would be, as Withak mentioned, make sure you match your bands to the ammo load. Try Joerg's Theraband Gold calculator if you haven't yet. That will match up your power/ammo in a bunch of different choices. The other suggestion would be to band it on the other side of the forks. With the degree of slant or 'rake' it would allow you to keep your wrist straighter and leave the forks leaned back. The pouch looks good with a nice shape too but are the stub ends of the band ties facing outside when loaded/drawing? If they face inside the band 'V trough', that may cause the tangle you experienced also. Hopefully this helps you out. Consider a glove or makeshift knuckle padding too while working out the kinks.

PS~Beautiful pup you have looking on and napping there in the background too. I think Brindles are about as pretty as they get. Is it a Bull Mastiff?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  14. Markatrog

Markatrog Member

Boxer named Squeegee, after business, thank you best dog I ever had !

15. Markatrog

Markatrog Member

16. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

You also mentioned getting accustomed to the metric system. It becomes very easy to do the conversions if you have a smartphone with a conversion calculator or there are sites that will do it also. For dirt cheap, pic up a plastic ruler at Walmart in school supplies for a buck or two. Most of them nowadays have both scales on opposite sides. This is my most used measuring tool for band cut dimensions. A digital caliper is real handy too but a lot pricier.

17. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Before changing anything, I would suggest some lighter loads, maybe like 3/8" steel, for example, and see if you have the same problems. If the problem seems to go away with the lighter ammo, then I would say your bands are likely not strong enough for your load. As Ravensbull suggested, check Joerg's Theraband calculator to check your bands against the large load.

18. Faxi

Faxi Banned

The Mainproblem could be the Pouch. It is very thin for big caliber. The centerhole is to small and the Knots from Bandattachment are better on the other side. I mean: The Folding to the Forkside and not to the Projektileside.