other builds non slingshot

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by squidget, Apr 30, 2013.

1. squidget

squidget Junior Member

we all enjoy building our various rubber shooters i also enjoy building other things lately (over the last couple of years or so) ive enjoyed making different fireplaces and wood fired barbecues.
    thought id show a picture of a couple.

the first is a small fireplace made from an old hot water heater i was using it at the time to cook kangaroo burgers

the second is my latest it is a barbecue that has an old beer keg as its main body , it has a firebox and internal chimney that is insulated with vermiculite (to try and retain some internal heat)

my favourite is the water heater fireplace it folds up to the size of the water heater with the flue and legs packed inside for transport.

ive also made a couple from disused LPG gas bottles that work extremely well at radiating heat although preparing them for the initial cutting is an "exiting" time lol

Attached Files:

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

cool, we've got a LPG bottle outdoor fireplace, works great but the bottom turned in to one big rusty hole

3. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Inner drums from washing machines are pretty looking as a fireplace in the dark.

4. squidget

squidget Junior Member

yeah the 9kg bottle im running some tests on is showing some quick rusting , i think this is because its generating so much heat that when it cools it is drawing in allot of moisture.
    when it is at full strength it pulses because it cannot scavenge enough fresh air yet the hole in the bottom is 150mm diameter and the feed port is 150mm by 100mm rectangle. it glows a wonderful mid red and it pulses a flame out the top of the 200mm chimney that is 3 meters high it looks great :)

the other gas bottle is a smaller test version of the beer keg design just smaller scale and works great as a camping barbecue.

5. squidget

squidget Junior Member

ive used then there great but found even the "stainless steel" ones rust out quick i think its like the LPG bottles the high heat and cooling draws moisture into the metals. but they do give a great pattern i used one as a lid for another and it really made out back yard eerie.
    i cant use this a lot as one of our children has epilepsy so anything that strobes can cause a fit.

another good short term fireplace on small scale is air compressor bottles they can be shaped to different styles.

6. squidget

squidget Junior Member

i got the gas bottle burning today and it got hot i thought id see if it would melt an aluminium coke can, the thing started to burn . the gas bottle was a nice red and so was the chimney around a meter up from the bottle the pulsing sounded great like a steam train running fast. i have no idea of the inside temperature but the flames inside where white as were any coals that were burning.
    there has to be some way of using this kind of heat.

7. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

daaamn you make them hot dude, you should try to use it as a forge!

8. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

Have you got multiple holes in the bottom? Better air intake and also drains any condensation that forms if left outside. Also, a grate on the bottom will keep the wood raised up and allow more air circulation. Just stuff I found out building a few for clients.
    Nice little stoves! Kangaroo....Mmmmm!

9. squidget

squidget Junior Member

lol thanks this started off life as a heater for a friends rear deck at his house but ended up making one from a 120liter hot water system he says it works great and can sit outside now in the winter.

10. squidget

squidget Junior Member

yeah it has a 125mm hole in the bottom and sitting just above that is a 10mm stainless mesh grate. the gas bottle just seems to draw moisture in as it is cooling ive tried painting it with exhaust manifold paint but it blistered off because of heat so now is "all natural" .
    the metal used in the gas blotto must be more porous than some its odd.

the "keg" stove im noticing ill have to disassemble and rework the firebox i don't like the scavenge of the wood smoke it isn't getting hot enough to burn. the other one is my favourite in that its easily moved and its temperature is just right for cooking with.
    thanks
    yeah kangaroo is good meat high protein and very little fats and tastes great too :)

11. squidget

squidget Junior Member

this is big Bertha the thing on the chimney is a 40 litre hot water service the chimney runs through the middle. it hasn't been completely fired up to full heat simply because the last time i tried the fence behind and some of the shrubbery started to singe. its made from 10 millimetre rolled flat plate but at half heat works well at heating up the outside area.

Attached Files:

12. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Old timers used to make lye from wood ashes and water.

I always wondered if the strong base (alkalai?)helped speed rust on my backyard fireplace. it sits sometimes full of ash and gets rained into.

13. squidget

squidget Junior Member

forgive my ignorance what is lye?

often i think it is that the ash holds moisture for a very long time is what brings on the rust. with big bertha i go down to the local fish and chip shop and get some old cooking oil and get the big girl warm not hot quickly clean it then smear the inside with the old cooking oil, it has a bonus effect because it drives the cat crazy trying to get in to lick the oil lol.