osb vs plywood

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by herosandwich, Mar 18, 2013.

1. herosandwich

herosandwich New Member

simple discussion, pros and cons of using osb/ply. I'm kind of assuming at the scale of slingshots plywood has the clear advantage, but I could be totally wrong. has anyone had any successes with utilizing OSB in any slingshot designs?

2. bushcraft kid

bushcraft kid New Member

Can you fill me in on what OBS is, I am drawing a blank.

3. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Oriented Strand Board, made from large, thin wood chips.<br><br>I wouldn't recommend it. OSB is OK for wall sheathing or shelves, but not much else in my experience. I don't think it would hold up as fork material.

4. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

OSB is great for making a Tobias-style shoot through target (with beer bottles behind an upright board), but don't make a slingshot from it.

5. CEZ

CEZ New Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0" border="0" align="center">
    <tr><td><span class="genmed"><b>herosandwich wrote:</b></span></td></tr>
    <tr><td class="quote">simple discussion, pros and cons of using osb/ply. I'm kind of assuming at the scale of slingshots plywood has the clear advantage, but I could be totally wrong. has anyone had any successes with utilizing OSB in any slingshot designs?</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br>Try it, you can also test MDF.</span>

6. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

<tr><td><span class="genmed"><b>CEZ wrote:</b></span></td></tr>
    <tr><td class="quote">
    <tr><td><span class="genmed"><b>herosandwich wrote:</b></span></td></tr>
    <tr><td class="quote">simple discussion, pros and cons of using osb/ply. I'm kind of assuming at the scale of slingshots plywood has the clear advantage, but I could be totally wrong. has anyone had any successes with utilizing OSB in any slingshot designs?</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br>Try it, you can also test MDF.</span>
    </td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br><br>OK, that's just dangerous advise. <br>Use neither, unless glue to or between plywood/multiplex. <br>OSB, as Studer said, is made for sheathing house frames. It's only strong on its plane, not for flex or impact. It connects all the sticks that make the house frame and makes them much more solid.</span>