Oregon fishing!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Will, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Well, since I am living in Oregon right now but am not yet employed, I have found myself with an abundance of free time. So I have used that time for fishing...oh, I mean, testing and experimenting with various rods:D
    Anyway, this is the result. About half the size and 1/8th the weight of my biggest white sturgeon, this one still put up an excellent fight.

Ps. Please ignore the guy who wouldn't get out of my picture. I threw him in the river right after this was taken:D

Attached Files:

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Very nice fish! what did you use to catch it?

3. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Holy... That is fantastic! Makes me want to fish. And go to the States.

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

That's just a puppy thistle, they can get 20' long and hundreds of lbs. It is a good fish though, bet if fought like hell. It's like they're super glued to the bottom.

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

It's sooo fun though. I'm so good, I always catch something. Usually its a buzz.

6. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Amazing my Friend! That looks really cool that you can fish direct from the House. :cool: Is this also the House where you live?
    Enjoy your free Time. I press my Thumbs that you can start soon with your Work!

7. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Good to see you up again.
    After fishing this big guy, i believe you gave him a headshot with your slingshot, you are hiding behind you. Right ?:D
    And the other guy only wanted to hold a big thing in his hand. Maybe it´s years ago for him.:rolleyes:
    Cheers
    Peter

8. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hi Will,

well done on that riverdiver..!
    But It seems to me, that, regarding the picture,
    you picked that one for only one (not too obvious)
    reason: (Looking at its tail!!) You want to make a
    slingshot out of it, be honest!

Look what I "found":
    when I am done, you can use it for riding, shooting and shooting while riding!
    - aint that nice?

Greetings to Oregon!

Attached Files:

• th.jpeg
      th.jpeg
      File size:
      5.5 KB
      Views:
  9. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

Hello Will, I see the hook working in Oregon, nice specimen ... is a sturgeon ?
    Cheers
    Arturo

10. Baller-Bub

Baller-Bub New Member

Nice lil´fishy...
    Also a nice pic!
    But it made me think of, if you´re noodling a catfish...
    Would this be fishing by "pure Will"? :rolleyes::D

PS.: If you set the bigger one back to the water, it might came back and follow you. It seemed to like you somehow.:D

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Thank you very much Schultz! This is actually a 'floating house' owned by husband and wife I made friends with when I was in Oregon in 2012. Great people, I was very happy to see them again, and to be able to catch fish like this from the front porch is excellent!!

Ha, thanks Thistle! Yes, I have temporarily left California. You would love it out here, except for the humidity. Been trying to keep busy, so my first goal was to swim in all the main rivers the make up the borders of the island!
    Great to see you back too, you were missed very much!

Haha! No, he went back in the water! Actually, they both did. I should have just thrown them all in together! :D

His tail would make a great slingshot and those diamond-shaped blades along his back and flank would make great ammo too!
    I like your discovery!! Think of the bands you could use!:D

Thank you Arturo! Yes, you nailed it, it is indeed a sturgeon (acipenser transmontanus). These are a very fun species of fish to catch. Not only do they get huge, but the way they fight will make you think you hooked a submarine!!

Ha, very true! All it takes is 'Will power' right??:D

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice sturgeon, Will. Those are great fish, good eating. Are you going to smoke any of that? My dad loves to smoke sturgeon. I watched a guy catch one once while I was working a job near the base of Willamette Falls. We watched him reel it in and bring it in to the boat. He picked it up by the gills and lifted it up for his buddy to take a picture - it was almost as long as he was tall, must have been 5 1/2 to 6 feet. But just when they went to take the photo, the fish squirmed violently and those nasty spines dug into his arm and side. He dropped it and it fell back into the river. He was left bloody and disappointed, but with a story to tell.

13. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^Sturgeon is absolutely delicious! But right now, you are not allowed to keep any of them, so he went back into the water.
    That is some crazy water at the falls on the Willamette! I fished there in 2012 (in the snow even). Never seen so many sturgeon concentrated in one place.
    I laughed about that story! You gotta handle them with caution! They are amazingly strong and those blades hurt!

14. YME

YME Junior Member

Nice catch!! Oregon is beautiful, I hope your job search works out.
    all the best YME

15. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Those scutes are like little razors, a charter captain out of san pablo bay told me they are the same material as turltle shell and can gouge a boats prop if you hit one.

16. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Hey Will, this place seems to me like a "fishing-heaven". I wish you all the best in Oregon. (translation of "All the Best": Much fun, much beer, much fish, much money, much beer, much fun.....eeeeh, did I mention much beer?)

17. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Very nice fish.

18. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

That thing is probably bigger then me, way to go!