Ooooops !!!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by ruthiexxxx, Feb 13, 2014.

1. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Oh dear. Done it again !

No wonder I don't feel safe shooting butterfly...or even half butterfly. Because all the nasty accidents I've had have come from doing this.

I just shot a 16mm lead drawing to behind my ear. It destroyed a mirror almost directly BEHIND ME !! I don't understand why. I was well within my strength capability...wasn't straining at all. I've been pretty careful with release and it was a new well made pouch. I was shooting a conventional braced frame with strongly pseudotapered 50/80s on TTB Bunny Ears. Looking at the angles it must have passed VERY close to my face.

This makes me a little nervous

2. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Ruthie, RTS shots are always frightening and when they happen, you always start to think about wearing a full helmet and face plate gear for a while...

I did notice on a few of your pictures that your center holes in the pouches are rather small. Do you shoot small BBs? Because otherwise I recommend increasing the size of that center hole. For 16 mm lead, 8mm is OK, even a 10 mm hole would still work.

Also, when you are drawing out into half or full butterfly, go lower on your whole position. No need to draw out to the level of your head, you are NOT using the corner of your mouth as an anchor point anyway. Think Rufus Hussey! Draw out high over your chest, about the level of your shoulder. Not only is that more safe - you will also notice that you are stronger then, because your muscles work more effectively.

Look at my shooting style when I shot my monster starship in South Carolina. Also notice that I turn the pouch 90 degrees.

[​IMG]

RTS shots - if they happen - will never come back higher, but always a bit lower than the shot. A hit to the rump will be painful, but you will live.

I also noticed that tubes are more prone to RTS shots than flats. Maybe that is because they tend to curl the pouch. Remember the RTS shot means that either the ball slipped out of the pouch and was captured back later, or it never left it in the right direction. Curling pouches can probably cause that.

3. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Thank you Joerg. I shall take that advice seriously to heart !

No, I don't shoot small BBs so I could make the pouch holes larger. 16mm is as small as I go normally.

And I am going to heed your advice too about flats rather than tubes. I do have a roll of TBG.. I've been avoiding it because I'm just not very good at cutting it despite having the proper mat and rotary cutter. I guess it's time to practice !

I'm still feeling shaken about what might have been. I think I'll stick to shooting arrows for the rest of the day! :)

4. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Hi Ruthie, I don't like cutting TBG as well, it tends to push out from the ruler no matter how hard I press. So I have started using clamps on the ruler, comes out straight now.

I don't have much advice on RTS though, only happened to me when I used awkwardly small pouches and never when shooting butterfly actually.

5. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Glad to hear you are okay, sounds like it just missed you.

6. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

One thing that I learned from someone else is that if you glue a strip of fine grit sand paper to the back of the ruler, it will prevent the rubber from crawling. Another thing is a sharp roller and only use the pressure you need to cut. I used to muscle down and my edges came out ragged.

7. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Wow, that sounds dangerous, i'm glad it didn't hit you!

The sandpaper idea is really smart flipgun! I've also noticed my bands slipped under the ruler and this sounds like the solution!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

8. Erlkonig

Erlkonig New Member

I first time heard about RTS in couple years ago, the guy said he used double cupped pouch and has twice RTS, since that he does not using cupped pouch anymore and no RTS again. In China, the pouch is just simple flat leather NO CENTERING HOLE nor dimple, I heard alot of forkhit but never hear RTS. IS RTS HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH POUCH DESIGN ?remember faulty ammo pouch in watermelon girl case .

9. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Damn it, now I had two RTS hits, both in my back, good thing it was just 9.5mm steel but still hurt like hell.. It happened 2 times per 10 shots so I don't think it's an accident. If anyone is interested I can post the faulty design so hopefully someone can point out what's wrong. I think it's the pouch.

10. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Yes...please do

and it hit you in the BACK ???

11. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Yes, I shoot ganstah style so it came around and got me in the lat to be precise, the second one hurt much more because it hit the same spot and got me discouraged.