Only a hand saw,sand paper and rasp first slingshot

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Otees, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Otees

Otees Another Member

Hi everyone, this is my first slingshot made from an old pine shelf which had some cracks.
    226.jpg
    Banded up.jpg
    End result.jpg
    Pine shelf.jpg

I used only a hand saw and rasp to get the shape which explains why it is somewhat rough. You can see the putty. Even though it is rough and probably poor quality, I wanted some feedback so I could make a better one since I lack experience. It has a handle made from some type of wood found in the bush next to my house. It’s hardwood and Australian but it might be somewhere else in the world, I see it everywhere when I go on hikes. Please help me identify.
    The unknown wood.jpg
    unknown wood handle no bark.jpg

I used 109 type office rubber which is about half a millimetre thick. It kinda reminds me of TBG.
    109 type office rubber.jpg

The finish was baby oil since no linseed oil was available. Baby oil is essential mineral oil which can be used as a finish. In the image it shows how the grains really stood out as they weren't like this before the finish. grains.jpg

Since I had no epoxy I used liquid nails to attach the handle onto the base. The handle was microwaved dry and then split . liquid nails.jpg

The leather patch was made from an old belt softened with rubbing alcohol and petroleum jelly.

So once again please excuse the roughness, but I'm happy with the end result. It is really soft everywhere as I sanded it down and used my knife (Victorinox Soldiers knife 08) to chamfer the edges(not that obvious :eek:). Please have some constructive criticism I'm open for advice.Please identify the wood if possible as well. Thanks everyone.
    Alex

P.S sorry about the messy layout of this post

2. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I was very impressed with your ingenuity. Pine is not the first choice for slingers as it has a pronounced grain and tends to be weak in the horizontal or vertical cut. How ever, There is evidence that if you turn the grain 20 degrees and laminate two pieces together, it increases the strength of the wood. I am a big fan of this style of shooter. But...rasp,rasp,rasp, sand,sand,sand.

3. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks Flipgun. Great advice as well i never thought of that. :)

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This is very nice work, and I am really impressed by your determination to build it! Great job!
    That wood is something I have not seen. The bark resembles oak, but the color is all wrong.

5. Lars

Lars The Evil Genious

i wouldnt use woodboards from needletrees as a fork
    they would brake easily

6. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks Will, especially for the guess of the wood.

7. Otees

Otees Another Member

As a matter of fact Lars, after heavy usage- about a week. The fork broke. This also may have happened due to the grain as stated by my dad and flipgun.

8. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

Wow that's a nice slingshot!
    I love the natrual handle idea, i have to try it!

9. Otees

Otees Another Member

To lars,
    I used it simply because i had nothing else. I couldn't buy anything so i made usage of the things i had like baby oil and steel wool just to test as sand paper.

10. Otees

Otees Another Member

Another Aussie!!!!!!

11. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Nice work!!! The next will be better and so go on! There's no need of fancy or special tool to build a good slingshot! (or many other "weaponsofelction"?)

12. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks, I am planning to make another one.