Omahahahahahaha!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WildBill, Jan 25, 2014.

1. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I'm here! Yay!!!

Getting out of KC was difficult. There were 5 guys that had committed to help me, but only one showed up- and he didn't get there 'til about 1:30. So I wasn't able to leave town until a little after 7PM. I got to Omaha at about 10:30, unloaded and set up the bed, and crashed.

Today, at 8:00 AM, six young, burly men from the church that I'll be attending here showed up and had me completely unloaded within one hour. Now it's just a matter of unpacking all of the boxes- and there are literally hundreds of them- and settling into the new homestead. Internet service was just turned on about an hour or so ago so I'm still catching up on a few things, but other than no help in KC and one broken lamp, things have gone fairly smoothly.

-Wild Bill

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  2. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

It always sucks when people don't deliver on things like that.
    Glad to hear it all went relatively smoothly all things considered.

3. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Those eastern nebraskans are good people, and smart too. That's what the N in Nebraska stands for, nowledge

4. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

We are all glad you made it there safe. And I feel for you on the fun times of unpacking. In 21 years I've moved 17 time. Some of them all on my own.

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I hate moving, and I hate helping people move, but do it because they need the help. I've been that one person that showed up when no one else did. It's dis-heartening, but it happens - c'est la vie.

Glad to hear you made it to the new place in one piece. Hopefully the worst is behind you and you can start making your life in your new home. Good to see you're online and back in touch. I hope the unpacking goes well.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Fled to hear you had help today at least. Good luck with the unpacking my friend.

7. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

It sucks when people let you down, but glad you made it okay and found some help! I have to say, I've always enjoyed unpacking more then packing.

8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Bill, glad you made it in one piece. And cheers to your new place.
    Dolo
    P_20140125_205724.jpg

9. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

I won't to see you making slingshots, fix them workbenches and unpack them boxes.

Get to it :)

Happy moving

J

10. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

You made it. Huzzah!

11. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

One broken lamp? Thats not bad going for a move! Smoothly does it :)

12. WildBill

Thanks for the toast, Dolo. I'm substituting Captain Morgan on this end.

There were a few other casualties of the move- though they were not directly caused by it. Apparently, there was a water leak in the storage unit that my stuff had sat in for the last 3 1/2 years, and my table saw, drill press and thickness planer are destroyed beyond repair. The band saw it pretty rough, but I did find that one on the street a while back so I may just swap to it for now.

Thankfully, my miter saw and my router set-up was unscathed. To be honest, I can do pretty much anything that needs to be done in a woodshop with just a router- it is the most versatile in the arsenal. I can rip with it, do fine edge cutting, make dowels, press holes, dress edges... a router is king in any cabinet/furniture shop. I have two of them- a Porter Cable 600 and a Freud plunge. Both are well worn but still as accurate as ever.

It will be awhile before I'm building or even shooting- I haven't found my slingshots yet. But Toni and I will get all unpacked and then I'll shoot some video of the new range that I'm gonna set up.

-Wild Bill

13. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hey my wild friend!

Good to know you have moved safely to your new home!
    I read these lines this morning before we left to return late..
    So I´m answering now.

I Just read that last post of yours; DAMN! did I say damn?
    well: damn!- That pains me!- I don´t want to believe the
    circular saw is beyond.. Unless there´s mud involved.. just let it dry
    (edit: at first I misread 3 1/2 years!- thought it was days..)

What I want to say: It made me so happy to read your initial post,
    knowing you had people to help help you "in".. and it felt good to
    be "in contact" with you.. So that water incident must be read as
    followed, I guess:
    You don´t deserve that! . So this is good!- I legitimates the
    purchase of new perfect tools! . If you like me to I´ll tell your
    boss that he´s the one to pay for those!- Cause you work for him!
    And there´s no way half as effective to boost your power!

I really hope you can see it like that: a destroyed car is a new car (to buy)
    - What about an insurance of the storage company?

Oh boy!- This will be neutralized soon (hopefully)

Imagine me, ringing your doorbell, giving to you bread and salt.
    Kind regards, greetings to all of your family.

Be

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  14. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Glad to hear you got there okay, sorry to hear about the equipment.

Any chance you could take it all apart and use electrolysis to remove the rust?

I hate moving too, still have a few boxes in the attic I never unpacked. I got one uncovered the other day and plan to open it sometime when I need a pleasant surprise. I think it might have some tools in it.

15. WildBill

Thanks, Be. After having my shop stored away for over 3 years, something was bound to happen. Unfortunately, the water damage harmed both the motors and the machine surface of the tools to the point where it would be cheaper to replace rather than repair, but as you pointed out, any excuse to buy tools is a good one!

Perhaps the most painful thing about this is that I had to leave behind some significant furnishings due to a lack of space on the truck. This included an entertainment center, sofa and some bookshelves. I bought a sectional sofa yesterday, and I intend to have some of my service techs take the shop truck tomorrow and deliver it for me (it's good to be the king). However, I did go to the local big box store and for under $200.00 purchased an entertainment center and two tall bookshelves. Of course, I plan to replace both with my own work in due time, but just the agony of having to put together these piece of junk, inferior examples of workmanship was excruciating. All of the cam fasteners, plastic plugs, particle board laminated with 'wood looking' plastic... Oh how I weep for my generation.

-Wild Bill

16. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Don't weep too loudly Bill - there is hope! Behold, the Slingshot Channel Forum - a gathering place for people that do appreciate the time, skill and artistry that transforms a simple piece of wood, plastic or metal into a work of functional art. Yes, we may live in a society where mass production and mass consumption have overtaken craftsmanship and skill as the 'norm', but there will always be a remnant preserved. And with that, new people join the fold every day. Perhaps we have, for too long, forgotten the satisfaction that comes from working with our hands. From turning and idea into a finished creation. From sharing what we know with someone else and teaching the next generation, if not our own. No, I think rather than weeping, I will continue to show people I know what can be done if you put your mind to it. And if they won't listen, well then, they can live with particle board and quick fasteners. This middle-aged dog is planning to learn some new tricks!

17. WildBill

That sounded like it came from the Westminster Confession of Slingshots.

-Wild Bill

18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Not too many opportunities to use the word "remnant" outside of church...or a carpet warehouse.

And with that, my sermon is concluded.

19. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Beautiful words!

I once more feels pretty good to "hear" your words,
    my friend! Not in church, yet they transport your respect
    and love for some basic findings I call my own, too!
    Thanks for that!- No sermon to me at all!

Kind regards,

Be