Olive Wood Flooring Idea

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Bighaze51, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Bighaze51

Bighaze51 Professional Amateur Dude

Okay, I'm not sure if this will work but I want to try it anyways. :) I've got a flooring sample of olive wood but it isn't quite wide enough to make my design. So I'm thinking of make it a two peice by cutting out each side and using the tongue and grove as the joint in the middle. I was goin to glue extra peices on each side of the fork but I'm just not comfortable have all that force on a glue joint. I'm thinking that by having the joint in the middle of the handle it will have less force on a glue joint. I also grip my shooters higher on the fork so I think that will compensate for the center joint. I'm including a picture so hopefully y'all can see better what my plan is.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  2. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

way too risky!

if you really want to use this pieces of wood, put a solid metal core in between. you'll have to cut each piece once again in halve if you know what i mean.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

3. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Its not the safest idea. I'd worry about messing up your hand if it tacoed. What about laminating them to some plex?

4. Dangerfield

Dangerfield Australia

G'day B51. What is the timber thickness?

5. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Maybe two or three metal bolts (cutted thick nails) from the side into the handle (drilling holes before and bonding them in) to make it unfoldable...

ehm. Did you want to make two half slingshots from one piece of wood?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  6. zwillie

zwillie New Member

Hi,
    I have no doubts about the glue joint.
    There is a risk at the area here.

[​IMG]

Like maddymax said a metalcore would help.
    Zwillie

7. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

not possible to cut it in one piece because the fork is too wide.

8. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

thanks zwillie, i forgot to describe the problem further with the grain.

9. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

With a "safety"-layer(metal/multiplex) I have no doubt it will hold.

10. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Better to narrow the fork slightly use the single piece, and figure out a way to reinforce grain lines from splitting at the forks. Not that I'm an expert. But if a piece ever split off clean, well it would hurt, could cost you parts you might not want to lose.

11. Bighaze51

Thanks for the input. Its 3/4 in thick. I know i have seen other shooters where different wood is glued together like that but I'm pretty sure it wasn't flooring samples. I may try it with a different peice of wood first because I'd hate to mess up this olive wood. It's too pretty to experiment with. I think I will try a narrower fork for this one. I did get a peice of walnut that was 7 inches wide that going to make a sweet shooter

12. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

I wouldn´t do it even if you choose a frame that is narrow enough to make it in one cut. The risk of breaking the arms remains.
    Its pretty much perfect the way you marked it.
    -Cut it in half first like you draw that horizontal line.
    -Half both parts again in their thickness.
    -Cut out the desired fork in plywood
    -laminate those 4 pieces to the plywood. two on each side.
    -you could also add a fancy spacer or again plywood between 2 layers on each side (someone did that on this forum with aluminum...like a "cross-core"

The result will be a very solid slingshot.

13. Bighaze51

I don't really have any aluminum to use but what about acrylic? Will the wood stick to it?

14. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Not sure about acrylic but I've made many slingies from samples and none have failed, I don't band them irresposibly though. I use tbb and have enough power to cut cans and marbles but wouldn't use tbg for safety.

15. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

As said above, major safety design concerns here... Definitely go with the idea already offered about laminating the wood onto an Al layer.

16. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I know you don't currently have any aluminum, but you should be able to find some without too much legwork. In my area, I would probably just hit up a local metal shop, there are a number in the area and either ask if they have any scrap or if I could buy a small cut of aluminum sheet. You might even find some small sheets in a building supply store. Shouldn't be all that expensive, and the AL will work with regular woodworking tools.