Old Fogies Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WildBill, Jan 2, 2014.

1. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

There's more than a few folks here that are, to put it bluntly, old. Some of the people posting here remember when the Dead Sea was only sick. I know of quite a few in their 40's (like Joerg and myself), a few more in their 50's (like Slingashot) and even in their 60's (Like Ghosth and Arturo). Are there any 70's out there? Dare we suggest 80's?

So if you're old, but keeping young through slingshots, chime in on the old fogies thread and show them young whippersnappers who's boss!

-Wild Bill

2. Q45

Q45 New Member

Lol im a kid at heart

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Slingshot Forum mobile app

3. artons

artons New Member

My grandad always loved slingshots :)

4. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I'm about to be 51, and can still shoot the eye out of a gnat with a slingshot. (probably be lucky to even hit the gnat) I'm pretty good at aiming with most weapons and hunting tools, but my slingshot aim is my best.

Oddly my first cold shot and maybe the second one, really are dead on. Same thing with archery.

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

44 going on 45. Considering how powerful .44 and .45 rounds are, I feel I'm in good company.

6. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

If I should ever allow myself to become old then I shall bear this thread in mind. However at the moment a gorgeous young husband keeps me youthful! :)

7. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

I won´t tell you the name,
    but one person around here is at least 70!
    (I´d have to check around 600 PMs to be
    exact)

And my "Priest" (#5) went to my wife´s Uncle,
    a Priest, as a gift for his 70th birthday- because
    he really is a kid at heart..

A big "Cheers" to those old masters,
    in about a few months we´ll be in our
    70´s too....

(time´s rushing and still accelerating..)

Greetings to everyone,

Be

8. slingashot

slingashot Over 50's Member

Funnily enough I had to show off my slingshot shooting skills off to a couple of 19 year old kids the other day. They didn't believe I could hit and break beer bottles where they placed them at approx 15 metres. They were so impressed and excited they wanted to know where to buy one until I told them I made the slingshot, the bands and the pouch !! The puzzled look on their faces made me laugh so much - but I did tell them they could be bought off the internet.

While we are talking old fogies, a friend of mine sent me the following recently just to show how much things have changed as we have gracefully aged.

SCHOOL - 1960 vs. 2014

Scenario :
    Johnny and Mark get into a fight after school.
    1960 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends.
    2014 - Police called, arrests Johnny and Mark.. Charge them with assault,
    both expelled even though Johnny started it. Both children go to anger
    management programs for 3 months. School governors hold meeting to implement bullying prevention program.

Scenario :
    Robbie won't be still in class, disrupts other students..
    1960 - Robbie sent to office and given 6 of the best by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again
    2014 - Robbie given huge doses of Ritalin.
    Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADHD. Robbie's parents get fortnightly
    disability payments and School gets extra funding from government because
    Robbie has a disability.

Scenario :
    Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him a
    whipping with his belt.
    1960 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
    2014 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang.

Scenario :
    Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
    1960 - Mark gets glass of water from Principal to take aspirin with.
    2014 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug taking.
    Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario :
    Johnny takes apart leftover fireworks from Guy Fawkes night, puts them in a
    paint tin & blows up a wasp's nest.
    1960 - Wasps die.
    2014- Police & Anti-Terrorism Squad called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, investigate parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated. Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario :
    Johnny falls while running during morning break and scrapes his knee. He is
    found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
    1960 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
    2014 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She
    faces 3 years in Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.
    This shows how stupid we have become!

9. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Great post Slingashot! I originally trained as a primary school teacher (Ages 5-11) and here is a true story from one of my placements.

I was given a class of 29 9 year old for the day and had to plan and deliver the lessons for the day. One of the lessons I had to take was swimming. No problem, I stand on the side and they do lengths 2 at a time, easy.

One girl didn't bring her head up quickly enough at the end of her length and hit her nose, cracking it in a pretty bloody way.

Now here is the sad thing, despite having an enhanced CRB check (Police background check) and being a qualified First Aider I couldn't help her. The reason? She was in a swimsuit. I had to get a boy out of the pool, wait for him to dry and dress himself them send him into the main building to get a female teacher. All the while the girl had to stay in the pool covered in blood and crying.

I gave up teaching in my final qualifying year due to a couple more instances like that. Sad state of affairs really.

Anyway, thats my moan. Ill take my 32 year old backside out and leave this thread to you old fogies ;)

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Schools and school administrators are certainly nothing like they used to be. I remember growing up with my friends' mothers in the classrooms, bringing treats for holidays or birthdays. School was fun, most of the time. Like you pointed out, a fight would have been settled without the police, criminal charges or expulsions. We used to take knives to school all the time, not to stab people, but just because we all carried pocket knives. We weren't thugs and we would never have thought of attacking someone with them. Today, we would be arrested for possession of a weapon. Incredible how lost these people have become, and as a result, how lost the next generations will become.

I think back on my Jr High and High School years. My friends and I made so many different types of improvised explosives 'just for fun'. We taught ourselves to build pipe bombs out of PVC, black powder and toy cannon fuse - it was simple. We used them to make big 'booms' out in the boondocks just to have some fun. Of course today, we would have been considered terrorists. We never hurt another soul and never had the intent to do so. While I don't encourage the same thing today because of the risk involved (we did some really stupid stuff at times), we did learn some important lessons along the way.

11. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

By age 10 I was thoroughly into chemistry as a passtime (we called it 'stinks' in those days). At that age I could go in to my local chemist and get everything I wanted for my experiments. "Concentrated sulphuric acid ? yes dear,500cc sufficient for you? Nitric and hydrochloric acids as well? Well, we're low on the Nitric so I can only let you have 100cc for now but I'll get some in." By 11 I was able to get Potassium Cyanide provided that I signed the 'Poisons Book'. My experiments ended around age 13 when Father thought that making nitro-glycerine was a step too far, even though I assured him that I proposed to put it into the more stable form of dynamite which I felt could be jolly useful for something. And yes, we had flicknives and all sorts of terrible things......and, amazingly, NO ONE GOT HURT !