oils,varnish and polish

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by pillowfly, Aug 18, 2013.

1. pillowfly

pillowfly Member

what type of varnish and finish's do you guys put on your projects? and what type of finish would look best on plywood? :)

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

On plywood, polyurethane finish or boat varnish looks very nice. On other woods, I like an oil finish (tung oil or linseed oil). I have also used acrylic finish, which is nice because it dries very quickly.
    I would suggest polyurethane in a spray can for your project. It should work well, just make sure to be more patient than me!

3. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

And if you dant have access to that stuff sunflower oil works great on plywood :)

J

4. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Some members of the forum are using "tru oil" with good result. My oficial oil is "peroba oil", an old product to furniture on brazilian market.
    To finish plywood only, I prefer varnish. Marine type or boat varnish, as Will said.

5. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Of I'm after a 'distressed antique' finish ( I usually am ! ) then I use Betun de Judea...a pitch based product. A couple of coats diluted with turps followed by a coat of it neat , followed by a rub with antiquing wax does the job.

Otherwise I like Rustin's Danish Oil followed by beeswax.

6. Cubanizm

Cubanizm Junior Member

I recently used Minwax polyurethane finish on BIG RED (my latest natural fork project) after lightly staining it with dilluted red ink.

For natural oil finishes I like to use a homemade extra virgin olive oil & beeswax polish...
    Recipe: 2.5 - 3 tablespoons of shaved beeswax for every 6 tablespoons of XVOO...sometimes I'll add a little tea tree oil to this mixture... which can also be used as a lip balm, skin moisturizer, and makes a great wood polish for furniture.

However in my opinion, the very best thing you can do is ensure to have extra pieces or scraps of the material you're working with to try different finishes, stains, experiments, etc... prior to making your final choice.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  7. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

There is the wax version of this product. You can see the result here:
    https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f5/z-hunter-brazilviking-30571/

8. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

verathane works good, also I use occasionally an epoxy finish. Epoxy has to be crystal clear slow set type, I screwed a nice fork trying to use 5min set. It brings the woods colors out, or accents radical cuts and shapes on plywood. try first on scraps. as for oils, linseed or food grade mineral oil are my go to.:)

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Have you guys ever tried 'linwax'? It's a mixture of Linseed Oil, Beeswax and Turpentine that you can mix up at home. I found a video on YouTube about this stuff when I was looking into finish options other than just throwing on some stain and lacquer. The linwax looks interesting because it preserves the wood (helps preserve metal too apparently), and leaves a somewhat 'tacky', though not sticky, finish - maybe 'grippy' would be a better term based on how he used it. In the video, he is seen using it on an axe handle, and the little bit of tackiness gives the axe a better grip, which could be useful in a slingshot. I saw another another one where the suggested mixture was poly (I assume polyurethane) + tung oil + turpentine. This gave a really nice finish to applewood in his video. Has anyone here had a chance to try either of these finishes?

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Never have tried those, but they do sound good. A bit too elaborate for my taste, but that is only the opinion of a lazy guy:D

12. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I've also been curious to try nitrocellulose. Its dangerous stuff and hard to find these days, but heard it leaves a good finish. Think I still have a couple cans somewhere.

13. dolomite

dolomite Banned

etrain also do research on how finishes affect types of wood. for example when finishing purple heart a product with mineral spirits or petroleum distillates can destroy the purple and turn it brown. Shellac and turp can do odd things with woods colors as well. Im far from a pro but these are my findings.

14. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Sorry for my question in this thread. I don't wanna high jack this one.
    But i'm surching for a varnish or oil or other stuff to seal wood.
    I'll try to make a whisky glass out of wood. So the protection has to be alcohol resistant and don't have to give a smell of it self.
    I'm sure you can help me

15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's why I like forums like this and YouTube for some of this research. One of the mixes I noted in my post was used on some applewood by a guy in a video, and he regularly uses it with no discoloration. I've got an applewood fork I plan to turn into a slingshot, and I definitely don't want to mess it up. The research continues. I think the hardest part is that there are numerous options to choose from. That's also kind of cool - two people could make the same slingshot, but the choice of finish could turn out very different products. As long as I don't mess up the wood, I'll be pretty happy.

16. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Looking forward to seeing that, etrain, I love fruit woods in general. Testing your finish on a scrap piece of the wood may be a good idea. Much better than risking disaster (my workshop and back porch are covered in failed slingshot disasters. ..).

17. dolomite

dolomite Banned

slingpit, if it were my shotglass id probably use 100% linseed oil, its food safe and I assume the alcohol wouldn't sit in the glass for long so that shouldn't be a worry. people use it on baby toys and salad bowls.

18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I'm working on 3 slingshots currently (my first 3) since I found some good forks in my yard. One is for the global trade, not sure which of the 3 that will be yet, but will be the one that I think turns out the nicest (and is finished in time for the trade, of course). One is chestnut, one applewood and one fig (which is really green - I'm trying to dry that one out without damaging it). I'm still not sure which finish I'll choose, but when I do the trade, I would like to send out a finished piece rather than a raw piece.

19. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Wow, you've got the 'slingshot bug' bad:D! Glad to hear you have so many projects going on, that is always a good feeling to know that boredom is eliminated.
    You may want to check out the microwave technique for drying the fig fork, or Cubanizms drying technique that was shared last week.
    I agree, a finished piece is the only way to go! I'm working on mine as I type this
    Good luck and happy building!

20. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Thanx for your answer. I'll test it with a good friend.:D
    It should be a gift, so it's not nice to see my friend sitting the whole evening on the toilet.