Oiling a blade?

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by Wanimator, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

What oils work? Would something as subtle as Baby oil work?

2. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Should be a safe bet. I think the only oils to avoid are acidic ones, like on your fingers. Someone told me not to leave fingerprints on a blade, I think that was the reason.

3. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

any oils will work for preventing rust. also petroleum jelly (vaseline) and wax.

but i would suggest non-toxic mineral oils like ballistol if you want to cut food with it.

4. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Okay a lot easier than I thought.

5. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Thanks a ton guys.

6. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I think that baby oil is just basically mineral oil with some fragrances added. So that should work

7. In the hands you have always weld.
    Which is acid-containing!
    If you have carbon steel knife these catch in to rust!
    Even if you store this in the air.
    In Germany we have weapon oil (ballistol) of which food is acceptable and also well to the skin care without acid shares!
    This weapon oil is for all kitchen machines useable.
    It is rust care!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
  8. seeker66

seeker66 New Member

What do y'all think about forcing patina ( I think I spelled that right ) on carbon steel blades to prevent bad rust...I have seen some videos of people soaking a knife in mustard to do this...it is possible to get some cool patterns to.

9. [ame]http://youtu.be/hfRO1GbvOvA[/ame]

I would not do this with my knifes!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
  10. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

That's a bad idea.

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I actually like the look of the mustard blade. I think interesting designs could be produced this way. I'm not sure how it would effect the blade though. At work, I have seen acidic materials run through carbon steel pipes with no negative impact. But I don't think I would do it to my knife however.

12. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

it would just force what time would do to carbon steel anyhow - build a protective coat on it's surface. just a bit faster. it won't dull the edge or harm the blade. only the surface on the bevel is minimal rougher than on razor-sharp polished mirror-shine blades.

13. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

I still wouldn't do the mustard stuff.

14. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Polish with paper, then oil with olive oil. Two bladesmiths I know recommend it, although one was taught by the other. Supposed to be historical.

15. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Hmmmm Interesting.

16. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Best choice ;););););)

17. seeker66

seeker66 New Member

With an expensive knife, I would not consider the mustard thing, but for my mora #1 that is an everyday go to knife that is good and cheap...I'm kinda thinking about it...it's getting that look anyway though.

18. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Kind of stupid giving something "age" I'd rather have that naturally happen.

19. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

that's the reason i don't buy expensive knives. and because i can't afford them :D. so i can do whatever i want with them.

i carry a miltec knife in a smith&wesson sheath of a knife i didn't like and gave away, i grind away serrations on blades or drill holes through the handle for lanyards or mill grooves into them, ... and so on ...

an expensive knife won't do the trick for me if i have to take extra care of it while using it too.

don't have to own a rolex if i wanted to know what time it is. mora's and opinel's are really good ones but still cheap.

20. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Lost both of my EDC knives this week. :( Hoping they'll turn up. I agree with you on knives and other tools, MM. I buy 'em to use 'em and like a schmuck, I lose 'em. Have neither the skill nor the luck for expensive tools.