Official Slingshot Channel Cookbook

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WildBill, Nov 1, 2013.

1. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I asked Joerg about doing this, and he gave his blessing with the following requirements-

1. All recipes must be original to the poster and not copied/pasted from somewhere else.

2. To have your recipe in the cookbook, you must give specific permission to do so (PM or email works- my email is [email protected]).

Once I have enough recipes to complete a reasonable cookbook, I will publish the book and make it available through the forum. I do not have a cost for the book figured out yet as I do not know how big it will eventually be nor how many folks would want one (the size and amount I print will affect cost). If you are interested in having a recipe of yours in the book, or might want a book once it's done, or both, let me know. Over the next few weeks I will be scouring the forum for existing recipes so if I PM you about one you'll know why.

PS- if you have pics of the completed recipe, I'd like to use those, too.

-Wild Bill

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  2. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Ah, you beat me to it. I'm glad someone has the time to, can't wait to see it.

3. WildBill

I don't have the time to do anything I want to do- I have to make it instead.

-Wild Bill

4. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Easier said then done, having kids makes a difference. ;)

5. WildBill

It's not a dig, AS. Having _______ makes a difference. Life, and living it, makes a difference. Since my progeny passed before I did, I must make my difference where I can.

-Wild Bill

6. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Oh boy!,

that struck me!

PM pending

Be, loving

7. WildBill

Okay, philosophizing is over- let's do a cookbook! Remember I do need specific permission to publish the recipe. Note that each recipe will have a header which includes your name (you can choose whether you want your real name or your forum moniker) and I will include photos if provided.

-Wild Bill

8. WildBill

It has been asked if the picture I posted will be the cover of the cookbook- no, it won't be. That pic is pretty cheesy. The actual cover will look far more cool than that.

-Wild Bill

9. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Who asked that?????:D

10. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This is a great idea, WildBill! Thanks for taking the time to do this! Very excited to see all the recipes that will appear!

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I think that rule might be a bit too restrictive. In reality, a truly 'new' recipe is a pretty odd occurrence. Most recipes are inspired or modified versions of someone else's work. I was a food blogger for several years and ran across this discussion on multiple occasions. Bloggers routinely re-blog recipes by others, including those posted in published cook books, without fear of reprisal. For this to happen, there are certain things you must do.

Assuming this book is not for sale, but for free distribution, we have the freedom to use other's work, just like with the slingshots we make. I have watched this for years and have never seen anyone get in trouble if they follow just a few guidelines:

* In general, if your recipe started as someone else's recipe, it becomes your own personal creation if you change/modify at least 3 ingredients.
    * In addition, the instructions for the recipe should be entirely written by you - your words, not a copy of what was already written.
    * If your 'new' recipe still bears a very close resemblance to the original recipe, give credit for that recipe - the author's name, recipe name and a link to where others can find the original. I've already posted a couple of recipes here that were inspired by others, but had modifications by me - some enough modification that I could well call them my own, but I still choose to give credit to the original creator.
    * Any photos should be of the recipe as prepared by you, never use a photo by someone else unless you either have their permission or make it very clear, like the recipe, you give credit for the original photograph. Again, this should not be a problem as long as this book is not sold.

In reality, many of the works published in cookbooks are also not the original work of the author. I've spoken with a few authors about this. Recipes don't typically have the type of copyright protection that say, a photograph can have.

If we aren't able to give this allowance to recipes, we may have a very short recipe list. I know almost all of my recipes started with someone else - including my grandmother. I have rarely created a truly brand new recipe from scratch.

So, Joerg, what do you think about these rules? Can we open the door just a little wider?

12. WildBill

What we can't have are, 'cut and paste' recipes from other sources. But you are correct- taking someone else's recipe and modifying it to your fancy is acceptable. You are correct about pics- they must be your pics of the recipe as you prepared it and not taken from another source.

-Wild Bill

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Well in that case, I'm sure I can contribute. I'll need to think about it. I've got lots of recipes, but not pics for all of them.

14. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Now I have to be good at cooking- quickly! Can't miss the chance to be in the TSC cookbook, right? :D

15. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Tomorrow when I have some pistachio nuts I have a small trick for them

Happy cooking

J

16. xXdoomXx

Ahh finally the taste of pistachio you can't get those one open well take a nut and shove it between the small gap and then twist and crunch :)

Step one a shel and hard to open pistachio

image.jpg

J

17. xXdoomXx

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  18. xXdoomXx

Twist and peel off the shel

image.jpg

J

19. xXdoomXx

20. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

The text and the pictures must be original, not copied from another source. Recipes can't really be patented, I think.

Otherwise, I claim ownership for the process of throwing together beans and meat! :)