NY law: No wrist brace

Discussion in 'Laws and Regulations' started by coyote-1, Jan 7, 2014.

1. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

Slingshots are OK here, but if they are wrist braced the owner is guilty of a 4th degree misdemeanor. Heck, you're guilty of that even if you own "ninja stars" or a host of other things. Meanwhile I can go get a rifle or shotgun, shoulder-braced, with no problem whatsoever :eek:

Additionally, in NYC the attorney general is cracking down on "assisted open" knives - calling them, by default, dangerous weapons and therefore as illegal to own as a switchblade. And so most merchants are refusing to ship assisted-open knives anywhere in the state.

Fortunately, simply taking the brace off the slingshot makes it legal. You're not forced to dispose of the components, they just can't be assembled together.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Just another reason I a glad I do not live in New York.

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

'Ninja Stars' have the same penalties attached as firearms in the UK! (ie: Harsh!)

We can't have guns without some serious conditions even air rifles are regulated.

Knives are heavily regulated, I have to have one for work but can't have it on my person when travelling to and from work, even in my own car! Assisted open knives, lockable blades and anything double-edged or with a working blade over 3.5 inches are all out too.

Knuckle dusters, blowguns, swordsticks, hunting bows and several other things are all illegal and yet...................................

Slingshots are totally and completely unregulated!!! :D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  4. FilipNilssob

FilipNilssob Lactose is my Kryptonite

That's incredebly stupid! Also in new york there is a law that says: You can't walk backwards while eating peanuts at a concert! That's also incredebly stupid! It's true That law is real!

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Its stupid people that mean stupid laws are put in place ;)

There is a law over here that states you cannot transport soot and live bears on the same lorry through Leeds city centre during daylight hours....honestly!

Maybe we need a stupid laws thread? :)

6. Barnacules

Barnacules Barnacules

Then don't use a wrist brace, just make it longer and call it a forearm brace or elbo brace :p #problemsolved

7. GoodRum

GoodRum Slingshot Newb

Apparently it's illegal to use a lasso to catch fish in Tennessee :)

WWW.dumblaws.com

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Slingshot Forum mobile app

8. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Wow, all these laws... luckily i can fish with a lasso and eat nuts while walking backwards here! But than again, slingshots still are illigal...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I once read it's illegal to molest an alligator in Florida. Been on the books since the early 1900's.

10. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

The problem is people try to legislate morals, which can't be done.

Walking backwards at a concert and eating peanuts = a recipe for an accident.
    That doesn't mean a law changes anything. Except the next dumbo who does it gets punished legally as well as falling over whoever he/she/it stumbles into.

Does that make it right? Not in my book. People should be responsible for their actions. Period.

11. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Quote from George Carlin-

"In New York, if you spit of the subway, it's a $50.00 fine. Puking is free!"

-Wild Bill

12. Yet they say California has horrible laws!?!? I am allowed to have braced slingshot here (big deal lol) but at least when I got caught with my knife collection (including several "ninja stars", double bladed knives, throwing knives, "flails", oh I could go on...) as I was moving homes I did not thankfully get near the trouble as that! I spend 9 hours being "booked and released" and a short time on probation. Here if I had been caught with guns I would still be in prison until my daughter had a career though....

13. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

Uh oh. :eek: I was over there on holiday last year and did just that. Does the UK's extradition treaty with the USA apply to this particular crime? :D

14. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

Well.... this sort of law is less an attempt to legislate morals than an attempt to prevent physical harm to others. I get that, and at a certain level support it. Wouldn't want people walking the streets with shrapnel bombs, right??

But a wrist braced slingshot ought have less regs than, say, a rifle. A 16 year old is allowed to own a rifle in this state with no permits or anything, but an adult cannot own a wrist braced slingshot??

15. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Oh dear, thats 10 years in the Tower I'm sure!

16. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

Phwew! That's not as bad as I expected. As long as my head doesn't end up displayed on the end of a pike, I can handle it. :D

17. john128652001

john128652001 Kill or be Eaten !

In N.Y. State wrist braced slingshots are illegal, but were legal at one time.
    I can remember when so called, "Wrist Rockets" were banned.
    The ban on wrist braced slingshots came into place because people were rampling them up with custom made bands and were carrying essentially single shot handguns because the brace allows a person to pull with much more force, where as your wrist can only support so much weight in draw poundage and remain straight unassisted.
    The ramped up wrist assisted slingshots fell into favor with gangs and criminals.
    Keep in mind my age, I'm 51. As a teenager we carried knives, chains, clubs and brass knuckles for protection. Today they don't even bother with that. They carry handguns. When I was young the thought of carrying a handgun didn't even come to mind and just shooting someone never crossed your mind and hand to hand combat was how things were dealt with. Times have certainly changed!
    In N.Y. City any slingshot or blowguns are banned because they are silent and could be lethal in the hands of a experienced person.
    In N.Y. State wrist unassisted slingshots and blowguns are legal but you may not hunt with them.
    Switchblades are illegally to carry in N.Y. State unless you possess a hunting or fishing license which I do but I don't have to be in the act of hunting or fishing to have it in my pocket as long as I have the license on me.
    Crazy laws are just that, CRAZY !

18. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Dude, you already put this exact post in another old thread, I'd hate to have to release the threadjacker crew...no I really wouldn't hate to;).

19. TheNewSlingshotGuy

TheNewSlingshotGuy AKA- "The Raccoon"

Actually, it seems that even if you live in NYC, it is legal to own a slingshot as long as there is no wrist brace. I ordered a Scout slingshot from amazon.com and had it shipped to NYC.

I'm assuming that as long as Amazon.com will ship it, then it's legal.

20. lucas414

lucas414 New Member

Agree with dolo, i wouldn't hate getting some new delicious recipes anyway