Nuking a Fork with Dead Matter

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by WildBill, Dec 7, 2013.

1. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Hmmm... I have a maple fork that needs drying. However, of the two branches sprouting from the fork, one of them is already dead and quite dry. To wit- I have a living fork that needs to be nuked but about 1/3 of it is dead and dry as a doornail. If I nuke it using the standard methods already described here (and that I've used) will there be problems with the already dead and dry portion? Has this issue even come up before?

-Wild Bill

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's a good question. I've not run into that, but I have accidentally put an already dry fork in the microwave (I thought it was a different fork) and ran it through a number of cycles. It did get hot, but I didn't have any problems with the fork splitting. As to whether your mix of dry and wet will cause any problems, perhaps you'll be the first to experiment with this.

3. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Oh, joy... I just LOVE being a Guinea Pig. Well, I'll give it a go, but I do hope for a happy ending. This fork is a beaut and I'd hate to lose it.

-Wild Bill

4. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

In that case, Stash it and move on for now. You can't unring a bell.

5. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I have done this successfully with an orange tree and a lime tree fork, I did bursts of 3 minutes at normal power with about 20 minutes cooling between each burst (depending on the heat of the green sections)
    The dead wood didn't get as hot as the green and I didn't split anything. Your mileage may vary

6. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I nuked this Sycamore (Maple family) fork which, as you can see has a dead limb

[​IMG]

It had a small crack in the tip of the dead side already which didnt get any worse and I haven't noticed any problems so far and it looks like this now.

[​IMG]

Not exactly scientific just sticking it in and hoping but thought I would share the experience. Maybe soak the whole fork so even the dead limb needs drying? Hopefully someone can give you a definitive answer, especially if its a particularly nice fork.

Good luck! :)