NOW WITH RED DOT: Dart Shooter Revisited

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by JoergS, Nov 2, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

A while ago I made an experimental dart shooter.

[​IMG]

It worked, but I was never really happy with it. Short acceleration, lousy speed, and not very accurate.

Therefore, I have made another one. Used the "guided fletching" concept I employed so successfully in my "small legit" crossbow, adapted to the four fins of course. The metal body of the shaft is securely guided in the groove, and therefore the weapon is safe to shoot and very accurate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again if you overdo the power, then the fragile darts break. Still this is powerful enough for 20 meter plinking, and the pointed darts stick in deeply!

Will add iron sights and also work on the finish. Other than that, it works great!

2. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

pure madness once again... loving it :)

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

My father-in-law is always trying to get me to have a game of darts with him, maybe this would sway me!

Looks like great fun!

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I always liked the dart shooter. With the light bands, I thought that a pump-action, magazine-fed version would be lots of fun. Getting the darts to chamber properly would be difficult however.
    Nice work on this one!

5. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

This is absolutely demented. I love it! Will the Brits let you shoot darts in their pubs with that thing? I don’t think they shoot pub darts from a 20m line, though...

6. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

In the UK the distance to the board is only 7 foot 9 inches, this would be brilliantly lethal at that distance :)

7. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

In that case… If Joerg could expand on the pistol model, come up with a rifle model and mount a scope on it, you could probably use it to shoot darts at the pub a couple buildings down the street (while you’re still at home)...

8. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

It is not impossible, but quite tricky.

I may mod this one a bit, maybe a folding stock and good sights would be in order.

However it really only works with these cheapo darts, the competition grade models have very very fragile fins that break way too easily.

9. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

10. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Nice! Lets test it on a pub!!! You can make some good money for your movie!!

11. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Have now added a red dot sight and also a folding stock... this is slowly getting there. Sighted it in at 3 meters (competition distance), which means the red dot has to be mounted canting downwards... because it needs to compensate the distance between the "bore" and the sight, as there is almost no ballistic drop at that short range. This is adjustable, however - ultimately I want longer distances.

The folding stock is held open by neodyme magnets.

Accuracy is very good, but I need to reduce the band dimensions for "tournament" results. This is incredibly powerful. The darts shoot right through a roll of kitchen tissue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Looking great! I want to see it in action!

13. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

Blueprints? I would really like to build this!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  14. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

kineticweaponry, you don't need any blueprints to make such a thing. Just start with the barrel by shaping wood pieces so they guide the dart of your choice.

Then just add a handle with the typical one-piece trigger/sear I always use.

15. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Very cool! I'm with Will, a peak at the performance would be great

16. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

The red dot is a nice addition to am already very cook weapon. Great work!

17. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

My new dart target arrived. Here is a comparison of the impact between a thrown and a shot dart...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For target fun, I am shooting far, far weaker bands of course.

18. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Very creative. I like the folding stock.

19. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

The stock is very similar to the under-folding Kalashnikov stock, minus the folding butt plate. Very cool. :cool:

Like this: [​IMG]