Nothing to little.

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Flipgun, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

This is related to the Global 2013 MkII thread. I have noticed that some folks are expressing concern over materials and tools available to them for the construction of shooters. I wish to present a couple of shooters made with danged near nothing and very little. Here is the first one. The danged near nothin'
    [​IMG]

After I had sawed it loose, I used only my EDC knife and a piece of a broken beer bottle to shave it. I lit one of Lady Flipguns candles and rubbed wax into the wood and buffed it with a piece of grocery bag.

The next one was made with my EDC knife, beer bottle, !/2 half piece of sand paper, cheap paint and primer from WalMart, scrap leather and some Tru-oil.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Additional materials were dental floss, red sharpies and super glue.

Don't be scared. it is a child's toy... and you can make it with danged near nothing.

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This is a really good idea Flip. Sometimes builders don't see the potential materials at their disposal, and I think this is a great way to show them that building a quality shooter does not require expensive components.

3. Flipgun

Thank you Will.
    @ruthie. Thanx Kid! We could use you in the Global Trade!

4. Otees

Otees Another Member

Good Job, I love the idea of using what you have. It shows that you don't need many things to make an awesome slingshot. Great Work!!

5. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

How did the beer bottle turned into that groovy slingshot? Was it made from plastic?????

6. Flipgun

:D No, Friend. You drink the beer, break the bottle and use the pieces to shave the wood and smooth it.

7. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

One word: Excellent! [​IMG]

8. LW

LW New Member

These are both very nice slingshots and especially knowing the background of making them.
    Of course, it is possible to make a slingshot with almost nothing, but something essential is always necessary:

PASSION

Even if you have the best equipment, you will not be able to make something special…

Thank you for showing this!

9. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Great thread with sweet slings.

One of the best things about this hobby is the bang for the buck. Being resourcefull gives its own rewarding feeling not available shopping online or in a store.

I hope this gets even more great folks in on the trade:D

10. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

11. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Some good suggestions here, to be sure. Building my first slings, I'm doing it with a few hand-tools and some time. Trying to find the slingshot hidden inside the natural forks from my yard. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. One thing is for certain, this hobby is definitely less expensive than my guns. And much easier to practice with at home!

13. CEZ

CEZ New Member

That is great, I wouldn't tell that you used such a small amount of tools. You have a lot of skill, I would do worse with a whole garage of hand and electric tools (and I do:D).

I just have one question, what is the function of the leather strips one the black one?

14. Flipgun

Thank you. The leather at the tops are "Tabs" their function if to make it easier to band thin forks or make the slinger shoot more quietly. The loop on the bottom is for a finger to go through. Sometimes you will find a fork with a very nice cup, but not enough body to make a grip. The loop make a finger bracer of the fork, also you get a more consistent grip which helps your aim.