Not a slingy but still good

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by dolomite, Oct 26, 2013.

1. dolomite

dolomite Banned

This was my first try at scrolling, and a B-Day present for the beautiful Mrs. Dolo! It's purple heart with red oak face. Sanded to 600 and verathaned. It's not
    a pro job but I gave it my all. We just bought the house and she hated the numbers on the porch so I made her this.
    IMGP0261.jpg

IMGP0262.jpg

2. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Thanks for that, my missus is yelling at me for just buying stick on metal letters now!

All joking aside, that is really nice work, especially for a first attempt!

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

4. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Beautifull!! Gives me lots of ideas for my new house!!!

5. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thats great thinking for a gift, nice job!!

6. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Thanks for the nice words Guys, all I ever see is what I could have done better.
    BV, there's many things that you can do with a scroll saw that your lady will love. Accents on shelves, corbels, hanging decorations, jewelry boxes are a few to start with. I made a teething ring for when my daughter gets to that point. In the future I'll make her a rattle filled with 3/8 steel.

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Improve? It's awesome as is. At my stage of the game I'm happy if I can turn out a block of wood. Very nice job on that address marker D.

8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Thanks E! Theres a little imperfection on one leaf and a bit of polishing compound stuck in the grain. My jug of rlo didn't get here before her bday so it's got no oil on it. Agonizing, huh?

9. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Not a pro job huh? Ha ha, very funny! Man, that is awesome work. Really good idea!

10. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Thanks man! That carries the weight of kim kardashians arse coming from you, one of the best builders here! That gave me a warm fuzzy feeling-serious, no joke!

11. zurdoman95

zurdoman95 Member

I love this idea of gift things you've done it yourself and more if they are pieces of handicrafts like this. I'm making an olive wood bowl and had intended to give it to someone as a gift

12. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

That looks awesome

J

13. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Very nice! I would proudly display that and brag that my husband made it! I bet your wife loved it! :D

14. dolomite

dolomite Banned

So much that she had me make one for her sister for her bday too. Sister went ape.

15. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Awww I bet that felt great. :D

16. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Very impressive good sir.

17. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

It sure is nice to have your work appreciated. Did you get a shot of the one you made for her?

18. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Great work, good choice of color. Your scrollwork is spot on- fantastic for a first try or a hundredth. Purple heart is a pain-in-the-a$$ to work with in scrolling since it burns so easily... good idea in making it the backplate.

-Wild Bill

19. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I didn't get to. I ordered a board for it on ebay and the guy sent the wrong one.
    He supposedly sent out the right one 4 days later. after a week, I had to threaten a complaint to ebay. Then after another week, the right board got here. Then I effed it up whilst putting on a really nice ebony veneer. So at 2pm the day before her bday I started over, different wood, veneer, design. I finished at 2am on her bday and passed out before taking a pic. I didn't even think about it again till I already gave it to her. It was a nice maple backer with wenge veneer with a scrolled maple face and Zebrano veneer numbers. This one was finished with rlo followed by paste wax as per TP's trade slingy originally was.

20. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Happy B-day to the beautiful Mrs. Dolo, Sir Dolo! :p

Faulous job on the scrolling. She must have been extremely happy to see her lovely new house accessories. Love that purple heart and oak combo. Super!