No Tie Theraband Attachment

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by MountainStorm, Oct 8, 2013.

1. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

We don't need no stinking ties!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XalX0jOcbdQ[/ame]

2. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

i like it and i like the workshop :D

3. zwillie

zwillie New Member

This is coool.
    Zwillie

4. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Question, what does adding more bands do to the pin size?

Say you want doubles instead of single? Three bands vs two?

It seems to me the pin size would be critical, and is your most likely point of failure. I'd also want to see some method of keeping the pin from working sideways while shooting even if only duck tape.

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Nice method and nice shop. I can see the potential, I'd love to see it in a slingshot.

6. LW

LW New Member

Sorry if I have to disappoint you, but there are already quite many variations. Some are good, some are very dangerous if the tube or whatever is keeping the bands comes out it will fly in your face, because most shooters target with their eyes.

Those are some pics I found, even without any tube, just with a exactly measured slot the attachment can be safe.

_aa.jpg

But somehow this kind of attachment cannot prevail, I think it is too inflexible, concerning bands and thickness.

but you seem to have some very good ideas, please carry on, you may find the one attachment option. :)

7. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

How about if you just roll up the band itself?? Or you could put a very thin and strong string through the silicon tube and tie it to the fork itself.

8. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

Nice attachment works good! in my opinion flicks developed the state of the art on fast band attachment, a smaller hole, just roll the band itself stretch and attach, no dowel needed ! ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

9. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

I've used this on one frame and I put cable ties through the bushing to secure it from side motion.

I posted a thread on that or you can just visit my channel on YouTube and have a look at my work.

No disappointment here I have no doubt it's well trodden ground. Didn't Bill Hays do something like that? For maximum options a 3/8" hole and a 5/16" bush for one band, 1/4" for two...but if you look at it you can see that one continuous band can be doubled to two bands using this exact set up. Works fine. The slot and pin is neat. I would worry about stressing the band with a sharp edge...which is why I spent a little time rolling the edges on the holes in my sling shot to avoid stressing the bands. Thanks!

It's a nylon spacer/stand off/bushing...very rigid...not silicon. But yes it does not need to be a tight fit to work really as long as the bush pinches the band. Some sort of wire or metal bail would be a bit more pro than string but same idea.

I'll need to see that. The ties just don't make good sense to me...there has to be a better way...probably several better ways...than wrapping a band around a band...

Thanks for all the input guys. If my ideas help you pass them along...improve on them...keep pushing the boundary.

10. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Nice method. The excess of rubber at the dowel protect the bands. I like!!

11. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

interesting method, i might just try it, cause i hate to change bands in the field with cold hands

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  12. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I have to apologise sir, I was perhaps a bit harsh in my comments earlier.

I saw the cable ties and they looked to be the answer to part of the problem.
    After doing some testing on my own the system seems much more stable than I suspected.

Well done sir!

I also had an idea about using a plastic pin, similar to a drywall anchor. With a plastic pin inserted and a screw to increase its diameter wedging it firmly into place.

13. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

I test all my ideas before I release them into the wild. No sense in setting people up for facial injury, lost eyesight etc...

I think it is possible to eliminate the pin or bushing or rod or dowel. I've seen designs that use the rolled band to trap it. The key here is understanding the materials. This Theraband is new to me and it has interesting properties...friction/stiction seems to increase dramatically as it is stretched. Unstretched it is somewhat silky and slippery across polished surface...but as it gets stretched it grabs like a Gecko's tongue.

Conversely polished slick material seems to grab the band a lot better than a surface that has a fine matte texture...which is also interesting in terms of creating ideal surfaces for the attachment and for the area the band must move over under draw and release.

Still working on a simpler system. I have to balance the effort it takes to create the little parts versus the ease later of using the sling. In many ways it is easier to file a groove and use a tie :p