NFL Decoupage Stickshot

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by VWscooby, Dec 31, 2013.

1. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

When it comes to sport I usually only watch motorsport but I started watching the NFL back in 1996 (when I was still playing rugby) and really got into it for several years. Then the powers that be stopped broadcasting it in the UK so apart from finding out the Superbowl winner each year I kind of lost touch with the game.

This year it is back on the TV in the UK so Ive been right back into it! The team I chose to support back in the day is the (and this is where the American members can have a laugh!) Kansas City Chiefs. Hey, Can't call me a fair weather fan!

After a terrible year last year (that even made the news over here) making the playoffs is a real acheivement for them so I decided to make a themed tribute.

Logo shape cut
    [​IMG]

Wanted it nice and smooth so used this
    [​IMG]

Sprayed up
    [​IMG]

Now Decoupage for those who dont know is the art of using paper with multiple layers of varnish to give the impression of an inlay. (Got the idea from my mother who restores furniture) Did have a practice before hand, the eagle eyed may be able to spot it in another picture.
    [​IMG]

All banded up, with red rubber of course!
    [​IMG]

And it even handles well! Going to give a go shooting tomorrow. Ill see if I still have a thumb afterwards!
    [​IMG]

Thanks

James

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Scoobs, that's damn original! Looks great.

Sent from my ME173X using Slingshot Forum mobile app

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

That is awesome!

I know a thing or two about being a fan of a crappy team (I've been a Jacksonville Jaguars fan since they entered the league). I can't say that I have thought about building a stickshot as a tribute though.

4. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I've lived in Kansas City for the last 8 years, and this town has gone absolutely Chiefs crazy this year- especially after their opening run of wins. Good looking logo, Scoobs.

-Wild Bill

5. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

My idea for an nfl themed sling was making micarta out of one of those team fleece materials like thishttp://www.amazon.com/Fleece-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Black-Fabric/dp/B0046VFKKO
    No I'm not a Steelers fan this was just the best example

6. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Glad people like it :) Has anyone noticed that this hobby makes you look at everyday objects as slingshot components?! The Chiefs logo just looked like an unfinished stickshot to me!

WildBill - I can imagine what its like! Chiefs fans do seem a little......enthusiastic when I see them on TV!

Kohlqez - That would look cool! I wanted a themed one and luckily the Chiefs logo does work as a functional stickshot. I can't think of too many others that would. Tennesee Texans as a slingshot maybe?

Decoupage is interesting too. Its a great way of getting a unique pattern onto a slingshot if you have problems making micarta. Ive not got it down perfectly yet but it will be something Ill be playing with for a while I think.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

No doubt about that Scooby. I always keep a spare set of bands on hand just in case I need to turn something into a slingshot. I have a coffee cup nearby that could be a good TTFH (through the finger hole) shooter - I'm sure of it.

Nice work on the KC shooter!

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Well, I went out shooting today to the woods. Took my Rambone which has come back from being re-tested (and what a fantastic slingshot that is! Amazingly accurate and comfortable) and the stickshot.

Embarrassingly enough the tie wasn't strong enough to hold the bands in and they followed the ammo down the path! The red rubber is very thin so two layers kind of overwhelmed the tie. Ill retie with heavier black rubber and try again!

Mistakes are part of the game! :)

9. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

Nice one i'm realy like the stikshots!
    (I can't realy handle it but i'm still like it! ;-) )

10. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Realy nice idea and a very good implementation.