Newbie slinger

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by Boomfiziks, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Boomfiziks

Boomfiziks New Member

Hi. My name is Dwight. I'm a high school physics teacher and I've stumbled upon this website this past summer (sorry for the late intro). I've used this site (and YouTube videos) a few times in my classroom. I've had my students use the slow motion videos to analyze the motion of the projectile to find the velocity, acceleration, and forces.

Recently, I had my students analyze the drill powered slinatron to determine the rotational rate of the drill and then figure out how big of slinatron would have to be made to launch a projectile into space, using the same spin rate of the drill. It would have to be football field big. :)

Currently, I have 2 group of students making T-shirt launchers to use during games. One group is using pneumatic system, the other group is working on a slingshot style (similar to Sprave's winch style), but uses PVC tubing and parts. They are still working on the trigger/release mechanism, they are not quite sure how Sprave's works. I'm sure any advice would be appreciated. :)

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to introduce myself. I'm looking forward to learning more about slingshots and hopefully start making some of my own.

Have a great day!
    Dwight
    Ashland, Ohio, USA

2. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

welcome to this fine forum Boomfizicks

seem like your a teacher that knows how to make lessons interesting,

3. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Welcome to the forum Dwight!

I wish I had a physics-teacher like you, it sure sounds like you know how to make a lesson even more interesting!

T-shirt launchers sounds like a lot of fun :D I would love to see them, you don't possibly have any pics? I would be glad to help with any advice if it would be needed.

//Alfred

4. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Wow! I love physics!!! Nice to have you around!

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Hello and welcome Dwight!
    Glad to have a new member with us. This is a great place, filled with great people, and I hope you enjoy.
    Never hesitate to share pictures or ask questions!

6. Boomfiziks

Boomfiziks New Member

Thank you

The pneumatic tshirt launcher made its debut yesterday at our football game. The slingshot has had a few snags along the way. They are using a 4" PVC tube, that is about 6 feet long. They cut 2 long slots, on opposite sides, about half the length of the tube. They are using a smaller cap that just fits inside of the tube to act as the plunger to push the tshirt(s) out. They plan on drilling through the sides of the cap and have a metal rod go through the cap and through the slots of the barrel. This way, from the outside of the barrel, you'll have a metal rod sticking out on either end. The metal rod will slide inside of the slots, pulling the piston cap on the inside of the barrel. They then plan on attaching the band at the end of the barrel and the other end of the band to the protruding metal rod sticking out the side of the barrel.

They then hope to make a winch system on the back to pull back the piston. How they plan to attach the winch to the barrel, how the winch will attach to the piston to pull it back, and the release mechanism, I'm not sure how they plan to do that...I'm not sure if they figured it out as well. :rolleyes:

This is an independent project that they are supposed to come up on their own. I'm only there for some advisement (and make sure they don't get hurt or have them consider safety of what they build)...not to tell them what to do. I do urge them to seek help from outside sources, including discussion forums. So if anyone has any advice, I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

I'll try to post photos next week.

Have a great day!
    Dwight

7. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

The slingshot will work better!

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Welcome to the forum, Dwight, good to have you here. I really like how you are integrating fun with the learning process, they'll learn so much more if they enjoy the process. I'm with the others, I'd love to see some photos, even videos, of the students' creations. I'm sure they'd love to see the feedback they'd get here on the forum from the admirers of such devices :)

9. Courier

Courier Senior Member

Hello and welcome to the forum, Dwight!
    We are already excited to see the launchers. :)

10. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Welcome to the forum I'm sure you will love it here...

Love physics too but to much math for a 12 year old :p

J

11. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Welcome to SSC!

12. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Welcome Dwight.

I also would like to see pictures/video of the launchers (or work in progress). If your pupils put those on here, I'm sure we will come up with many ideas, and lots of encouragement.

Keep up the good work btw, the world needs more teachers that can excite and inspire.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Welcome to the forum. I wish I had more teachers like you when I was in high school.

14. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Dwight, first off- welcome to the house of usher! You sound like a rare breed, teachers that buck the system are the most effective type. I'll never forget my econ teacher that used a certain plant that california is famous for as an example when trying to teach a "misfit" class about cash crops, he got everyones attention just by "breaking the rules", talking about taboo subject matter. Showed hes just a dude trying to do his job, redneck kids didn't care about corn so he found shock value to grab attention. It was one time the whole class listened. Granted your approach is different, its still "out of the norm" enough to grab the attention of this new breed of kids we have where they loose interest so quickly-hat's off!
    Enjoy this nutty place with it's nutty citizens, the threadjacker crew is here to help(some reference to threadjacking will be in most crew members title below their name);).

15. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Can' t wait to see those T- shirt launchers.