newbie in more ways than one

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by xs-lothian, Oct 1, 2013.

1. xs-lothian

xs-lothian Hunter

hi guys,

i go by D, im a married 27 year old with 2 daughters(ages 3 and 2) i like most forms of weapons and have been shooting for many years, started off with dads .22 bsa then started owning my own 6mm's then 4.5mm's and eventually .22's.

most of my shooting has been done as a hobby both target and hunting, and i also had a spell in the british army shooting the real thing.

anyway thats enough about rifles etc, ive been watching the youtube channel for some time and it inspired me to pick up a slingshot again after many years, owned a black widow and a few others during my misspent youth, mostly causing trouble with them tbh.

i didnt know if i was going to like coming back to it, so, i went onto ebay and purchased a small cheap but very robust a powerfull stainless steal hunting slingshot, cost less than a fiver posted and tbh its great and pretty powerful as is, i will be shorty replacing the bands and looking into buying or more likely making something a little bit better.

i have put a good few hundred rounds through the little slingshot and am really enjoying it, my goal is to get good enough to go out and take live quarry, rabbits and wood pigeon.

i think ive covered most bases here, but if you need or want any more info, please just ask :)

cheers

D

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Welcome back to slingshots after an absence. I look forward to seeing some creations. I am also just getting back into slingshots after many years away. This is a great forum with simply amazing people. Feel free to ask questions and make comments.

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Bem vindo! Enjoy the forum!

4. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Welcome to SSC!

5. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Welcome, and enjoy your time here.

Be careful though, once you get two slingshots together more start to appear(are they breeding?):p

6. zwillie

zwillie New Member

Welcome to SSC.
    Zwillie

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here. A word of warning on those cheap Ebay slingshots, the topic was recently discussed here - they are not always made with quality metal, but rather cheap pot metal that can fracture under the strain of shooting, causing injuries. Check out this recent thread and the link to Dankung's website on post #5:

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f17/finally-got-here-31115/

I've got a couple of those cheapos myself. I've removed the bands that came with them and banded them with a something a little less strong, just for target shooting. If I was going to do any serious shooting that required more power, I'd use a different slingshot. In the same thread, you can read about the Dankung Dancing Hunter model one of the members here just purchased - he loves it, and it's real steel, so no worries about failures.

We'll look forward to your contributions.

8. xs-lothian

xs-lothian Hunter

thank you for the warm welcome folks, heres a few shots of the slingshot that got back in the game again, brilliant value for money i think at under £5 posted from within the uk.

and thank you for the warning, i shall be carefull with it, seems to be running in the region of 240 ish FPS with 8mm steals, will be mainly used as a practice/target slingshot anyway and shall either make or invest in something a bit more robust for the job of hunting.

Attached Files:

9. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Welcome

Greetings to lovely scotland!

Welcome aboard.

Be

10. xs-lothian

xs-lothian Hunter

ok having had a look at the other thread, i did a little test on my slingshot and it looks like its one of the fake dangerous ones as seen in the first 2 pics, i tapped the fork with a small screw driver and small hammer, didnt hit it too hard, and ou can see the results. i dont shoot this with the hammer hold at all and shoot as per the last few pictures, how safe is this slingshot with this hold, i dont fancy loosing anything especially and eye or tooth for the sakes of not spending a few more quid or a new one or making one.

cheers

D

Attached Files:

11. dolomite

dolomite Banned

That appears to be a "romantic cup" knockoff, caution advised. The real deal is only like 15-20 quid with shipping, dankung.com is the place if you're interested. Anyway, welcome to the house of nutters! Enjoy.
    Just saw your recent post, do NOT use it again, your sight is at stake, teeth too. These charlatans have been chased out of chinese markets and are trying to pawn that sh1t off on other countries.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  12. dolomite

dolomite Banned

You could also save some change and get a "naked" dankung and use your cheapies paracord and finger grip tubes. also check out the traditional chinese hold, very comfortable and safer for your digits.

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Dolo, where did you find the video detailing the hold? I've been to that site and most of the video links on those Chinese models seem to be broken or missing. Is there a particular video you found was beneficial?

14. xs-lothian

xs-lothian Hunter

thank you for the information i have opened a dispute with the seller via ebay and asked for a full refund, and advised that i would not be sending it back and the slingshot would be going in the bin to save someone else the pleasure of being injured by this item. ill let you guys know how i get on.

15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Good luck with that. It has me wondering if anyone has reported these products to the CPSC (Consumer Products Safety Commission) here in the states. Might be worth giving them a heads-up someday.

16. dolomite

dolomite Banned

you could probably find it on youtube, its a chinese army instructor on the best vid. can't understand him but the visual is informative. theres good pics on the dankung site too.

D, I wish you the best of luck, I hope you're victorious. Imagine how many kids get these lemons as a gift, scary.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  17. xs-lothian

xs-lothian Hunter

well i have heard back from one of the sellers, i bought 2 of these and gave one to my dad. the first seller has issued an apology and a full refund, i am awaiting something from the second seller, fingers crossed i get that back also :D

cheers

D

18. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.

19. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Welcome nice slings :)

J

20. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

^^^^AAAHHH!!! The thumb killer!!!! Dont let it com close to me!!!

Attached Files: