New Variant Of The David Sling - Sawblade Sling

Discussion in 'Conventional slingshots' started by adamiskrispy, Sep 11, 2014.

1. adamiskrispy

adamiskrispy New Member

Interesting David sling I made that launches disks frighteningly fast, here is a how to + launching (near the end). Just wanted to see what you guys thought about it and possible ways to improve it. I would have made the launching a bit longer and stronger but unfortunately I sprained my wrist prior to the video so here you go: http://youtu.be/Udn2ESP4ktQ

2. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udn2ESP4ktQ&sns=em[/ame]

Sent from my iPhone

3. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Expensive ammo:) Wouldn't like to get an RTS from that.

4. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

I was thinking the same thing RTS would really suck. But it did give me an idea for a sling rifle.

5. adamiskrispy

adamiskrispy New Member

I'm generally safe from RTS because of the circular motion I use to launch the sawblade, but anyone close to me is a different story!

6. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

You have been watching too much James Bond. The movie Octapussi had a guy who killed people with something like this.

7. Jack739

Jack739 Gun-'Slinger'

Holy Crap :eek:

A direct hit with this would be very unpleasant, quite cool idea but be careful! :D

8. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

This is wrong on so many levels. You will hurt yourself if you try to sling it normally - the way you are doing it gives it a small force, you could easily throw it faster by hand. If you actually use the advantage of the longer lever of the sling youll get much more power, but then it gets reckless and dangerous. The sawblade can easily get tangled up in the rope and youll smack yourself.

Train slinging with tennisballs. And stick with rocks or other round ammo (concrete or clay balls).

Edit: also, if a dumb adult or a kid sees your video and try to replicate it they can get hurt... You have your disclaimer (dunno if its any help legaly) but they still can get hurt even if its their responsibility its still a bad thing.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  9. adamiskrispy

adamiskrispy New Member

I can sling the sawblade MUCH faster than by hand, and I recorded the video with a sprained wrist, hence my wrapped hand. I also built one using vinyl covered metal wire which almost eliminates the tangling problem. But I'd recommend building ammo from a frisbee to practice with this weapon! Thank you for your constructive criticism JohnKrakatoa

10. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

What a frightening contraption!

My thoughts are that a rigid throwing arm would give similar advantage, but be safer to use and more reliable to aim.
    Picture the plastic throwing arms for lobbing clay pigeons, but modified on the end.

No one wants you to get hurt, so please be careful.
    I sure wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of that badass ammo.:D

For exercising your destructive bone and letting us share, I salute you.

11. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

I’m with John K. This is an incredibly dangerous idea to play around with. It has nothing to do with conventional slingshots, so it has no place in the “Conventional Slingshots” forum here. Some jerk (probably an unsupervised kid) is going to see your video, think "what a great idea that is”, try it out and probably end up slicing an artery wide open.

This is your first post and your first contribution here? Wow! I can only wonder what your next contribution will be --- maybe another specialized sling that can throw a cup of acid into somebody’s face?

12. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Dangerous? Irresponsible? Provoking?

A man after my heart. You came to the right place. Welcome here.

Having said that, kids, please don't do this at home. Leave it to us idiotic adrenaline addicted attention loving stuntmen to shoot circular saw blades.

13. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Lacumos post might sound harsh, but its true. Also, its not really efficient to use a sling for this type of projectiles, or ... its very effective to use round ammo with a sling.

IF you were a master slinger and IF you perfected the sling for this ammo (but I can't of nothing that wont tangle on a sharp saw tooth) it could be a very effective weapon, but still cumbersome to carry around, especially the ammo. Not mentioning the price.

I would suggest you make some big clay balls (you can dig out quality clay pretty much anywhere) and enjoy their destruction. I just did my first batch with just regular clay-earth and some water, eyeballing the quantities, and air dried it for a few days, and they are super hard, will shatter only if you use a big force in your sling or slingshot.

14. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

15. adamiskrispy

adamiskrispy New Member

Jeepers creepers u gave me an idea!!! I'll call it the "suicide sling"

16. adamiskrispy

adamiskrispy New Member

Home sweet home haha

17. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

As a kid (11 years old) I'd go to a friends home, who lived on some sizable acreage. A bunch of us lads from 10 to 16 years old would throw axes, circular saw blades, pitch forks- whatever we could grab from the barn that could do damage- at various targets. Well, one significant injury was sustained. As I leaned against a tree talking to someone I heard, "Look out!". I looked up but it was too late. A pitch fork was thrown in spear fashion at the tree I was near. Two tines of the fork went completely through my right hand/wrist, impaling me to the tree. My fine motor control was forever lost in that hand, forcing me to essentially become left handed for anything that requires something beyond a brute grip.

So please, have fun but do be careful.

-Wild Bill

18. adamiskrispy

adamiskrispy New Member

Ouch! Sad to hear that happened to you. And I never throw sawblades unless I'm in an open field with no one around, all cameramen were in a treehouse. I'll be sure to be careful

19. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Yipes WildBill--my friends, cousins and I would do exactly those same things.
    We were lucky to only get the occasional band aid or cast.

Now a real crazy man can stage a (hopefully) phoney vid of this weapon going wrong and chewing a new enormous ragged red mouth down the front of his belly,in a cloud of guts and grue. Then the recurring nightmares will keep the kiddos from trying this.

20. nottoyslingshots

nottoyslingshots Natural Slingshots Enthusiast

Nice weapon you have there, and don't mind your accuracy, zombies come in packs, you'll hit one of them.

Keep up the good work!