New to Slingshots

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by MarbleShooter, Dec 24, 2013.

1. MarbleShooter

MarbleShooter New Member

Hello all,

I am currently a grad student getting my masters in teaching, and while I don't have much time for hobbies, new ones tend to pop up anyway. I basically can't control myself. For the last 10 years, I have been making small radio controlled fighting robots (like from the TV shows Battlebots, Robot Wars, etc.), and fighting in relatively local competitions. I also enjoy collecting (cheap-ish) knives, playing Magic: The Gathering, building/fixing things, and most recently, wood working. I just started getting into slingshots thanks to Jörg's channel, and I'm excited that this forum exists for advice, showing off creations, and potentially talking about my other hobbies as well.
    I may not be the most frequent poster, but I'll certainly appreciate advice from the more experienced members about designing these really fun weapons. So far I've built a slingshot from a broken knife, and I'm starting another from plywood. It's a hell of a time. I just wish I had more time to hit the shop.

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Welcome to the loony bin! I have a great idea for you...Radio controlled slingshot! Maybe a slingshot battlebot?

3. MarbleShooter

MarbleShooter New Member

Now there's an idea. Unfortunately it would be pretty useless in a competition, but a neat idea regardless. I would probably need some kind of electric ratchet system to draw the rubber as far as it needs to go.

4. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Welcome to SSC!

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Alyssa good to have another inmate in the asylum.

6. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member