new quick band attaching method!!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by onnod, Aug 12, 2013.

1. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

heyy guys,

as most of you may know, i was on a trip to Sweden. In the long, boring hours traveling all the way up to this beautiful country, this suddenly popped up.

it is... a new method for attaching and releasing bands very quickly. useable for both tubes and flats.

i was inspired by the clamp on method, but i didn't like the fact that you need special forks to use that method. my new method can be used on any slingshot with flat forks and preferably a band groove for extra strength, it might not work without one.

it actually is quite simple. you need: two metal rods slightly longer than the width of your fork and two regular rubber bands. to attach the bands you first attach the rods like shown in the pics, after that you lift up the rods (this will take a little force and you need to hold the slingshot down firmly) and shove the bands under them. et voila, your bands are in nice and tight!

i have not tested this to the fullest and only made this rough test piece with and old slingshot and a random piece of metal, but i did find it helpful to use some kind of a jig to lift the rod, i'll report further on this.

hope you like my new method!

bye, onnod

Attached Files:

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Clever! Essentially, this is a modified 'clamp' attachment method. Let us know how the testing goes!

3. moin moin,

after my test Währe it'' s better to take roughened wire, and to secure it so that it can not rotate.
    This comes to light only during the spin cycle.
    Here, the power forward, not that the draw ..... then the wood absorbs it!

or three known?

nach meinen Test´´s währe es besser, aufgerauten Draht zu nehmen, und den so zu befestigen, das er sich nicht drehen kann.
    Das zeigt sich aber erst beim Schleudern.
    Hier die Kraft nach vorne, gar nicht mal so beim ziehen..... den dann nimmt das Holz es auf!

4. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Lever indeed, onnod!!!!

5. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Great idea.Let us know your results.

6. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Interesting, I change bands at least 3 times a week and the wrap and tuck method is really annoying. If this would work with full size bands that would make me very happy.

7. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

That looks good, Onnod! I have to try that some time :D It is clear that you got a portion of Swedish Engineering-spirit with you home! :D

How was your trip? Where in Sweden did you go?

8. onnod

thank you, my trip was great! i went to two places, both located a few hours above Göteborg. the first house was locate in Värmland, the second near the city Stenungsund. Sweden sure is beautifull, only you should make your pike a little bigger:p

9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^
    I think you would have fun shark fishing Onnod! Big and lots of teeth!

10. onnod

it sure sounds exiting! how does one catch a shark? from a boat with a big strong rod and a big chunk of fish for bait?

11. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Sounds like a nice trip! Next time I think you have to stay closer to 'Dalarna' were I live :D

Haha, the biggest pike I have ever caught I think was only about 1.5-2 kg... But to defend the honour of the Swedish pike I can tell it was also the only pike I ever caught! :D

12. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

The species I fish for here are usually in the bays and harbours, so they can be caught from shore too. Sometimes a big piece of dead fish is good, but live fish about 7-9cm long works even better. Recently, I have started using lighter rods for the better fight:D

13. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This is great! 'Defend the honour of the Swedish pike' has really made me laugh (and I didn't think that was possible today), thank you!:D

14. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

My Swedish ancestors came from Dalarna around 1900. My maternal grandfather and his siblings had dala horses at their houses and cabins. :)

15. onnod

@Will, aha, interesting, seems like i have a new "to-catch" :D

@FIAAO, so a little further up next time, i might pop up on your doorstep lol :p

16. KnuckieG

KnuckieG New Member

Excellent idea mate! :) On the Kelly in my avatar I attach the bands halfway down as ttf as the forks are pretty high. On each fork I wrap 3 office rubber band round tightly and push them below where the bands go fit the therabands where I want and yank up the bands to cover as much as I can then I wrap 3 more office bands over the rest then do the same on the other fork. Sounds like a lot but it takes seconds to do without the hassle of wrap and tuck. On my single tube catties I just pull to the desired length tie a simple knot and wrap office bands over the knot. Works for me lol!

17. KnuckieG

KnuckieG New Member

Just been thinking (ouch! lol!) for me the hassle of wrap and tuck is keeping the first end bit secure while winding and of course the tuck is awkward. I've been using GK John's "in the field" quick change with your thumb replacing the hemostat. How about a hybrid? Secure the first end with an office band yes you'd still need to apply pressure but not so much as it's less like to slip. As for the tuck how about a second band below you could yank up so you could get away with a looser tuck? Rubber against rubber is pretty solid after all. Just thinking out loud :)

18. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I pull the wrapping latex as tight as I can while winding it and use a couple overhand knots to secure it. Aggravates my carpal tunnel, though. I think Onnod's new method could be right up there with Saunders' band clips for easy band attachment methods. I love the Saunder's band attachment system, but it's hard to duplicate and their forks are higher than I prefer. Best of all, Onnod's way looks like it could work with any boardcut style fork (boardcuts, resin/micarta/HDPE/G10/carbon fiber, flat cast/cut metal, etc). Kudos and a double like to ya, Onnod!

19. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

What about a surgery for the carpal tunnel? I can do it for free! You just have ti pay the hospital, anestesiologist, medications, hotel, airplane tickets......oh man, this is getting expensive!

20. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

BV: :)

It's not that bad yet. My wife had that surgery a couple years back. When it gets like her's did where it hurt all the time, maybe. For now it just doesn't like certain activities, like tying bands.