New Power Tool - Opinions?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Withak, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Hey folks, I'd like to get some opinions from the forum. I'm planning to add a power tool to my lineup that is different from those that I've owned before. I can see a use for it in various types of projects around the house. Slingshots are just the latest.

So, here is what I'm looking at: Scroll Saw or Band Saw (small 9" model). Both run about the same price and both are relatively small, with the small band saw taking up slightly less footprint than the scroll saw.

I really enjoyed working with a band saw in shop class. I've never had the chance to use a scroll saw.

At the moment I'm leaning more toward the band saw simply because the blade to me seems sturdier and would allow me to cut larger pieces of wood faster. Say I want to make a quick cut in a 2x4, for example, rather than pull out the circular saw or cut it with a hand saw, I can do a quick cut with the band saw. I can also have a high TPI blade for cutting metal as well as a lower TPI blade for wood.

So, what are your thoughts? Do you have a preference of one over the other? If so, why?

Thanks folks in advance for your input.

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

with metal on a bandsaw make sure you can slow it way down as compared to wood. I highly prefer my delta scrollie, mines a 90s model but can cut 1/4 ally with no problem. cuts way tighter than a band also. Intarsia is fun too. and theres sanding attachments for scrollsaws as well. My bandsaw sits more than it gets used. scrollsaw gets some everyday, seriously every day.

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's a good point. As an electrician, I used hand held 'porta band' saw for cutting large pieces of conduit, they did run at a slower RPM, but had a variable speed trigger for more control. I'll keep the variable speed consideration in mind if I go the band saw route.

How thick a piece of wood, say multiplex, can you push through that blade? I've got some 3/4" multi that I'm planning for some board cuts and at least one design calls for layering 2 pieces of 3/4" multi. Knowing how small and flexible my coping saw blade is, would an 1 1/2" of laminated wood be any trouble for a scroll saw? You make a good case for the scroll saw, so I'll need to take a closer look.

You got me with intarsia. I've never heard that word before, so I had to do an online search. Now that I've looked it up, I know what it is, I've just never heard that term before. Looks like some very intricate work.

4. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

I don't know they sound the same, but I just constructed a router table, and it really helps out with board cuts. And I guess it could help in the house if you did decroative stuff the router table just put a perfect round over on things. If you already haven jigsaw then I'd get a router and make a table. I would even show you mine if you wanted.

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

2 inches no sweat. plex is butter, hardwoods are whats tough. larger saws can go thicker, but not much. I cut the handle on your slingy with a really small blade, just be sure to get flying dutchmsn blades, they're the best. really inexpensive too.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I've got an older Craftsman router, but not a router table. I have a jigsaw too, but I like the idea of having the saw stay stable while I move the piece around the blade.

Good to know. Another point for the scroll saw. I guess another point is cheaper blades too.

7. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

What are they made for

Scroll saws were initially built to cut thinnest layers of plywood,
    mainly figurative things, therefore narrow radiuses a s o.
    The srollsaw i would buy has a sawblade of rd 13mm sticking out of the
    saw table, it is moving inside a little ceramics block.

Those are called Dekupier-saws (decouper is french: cut out)

Here you see the best money can buy round here:

http://www.hegner-gmbh.com/

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Asj-N0__nk[/ame]

Band saws are variable in scale and power, the produce the least vibration,
    can be equipped with bi-metal-bands to cut steel.

I have a small AlKo just for steel, 375 Watts, integrated disk sander,
    which would please anyone..

Band saws can be bought at ridiculous prices..

http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-bandsäge-bs/k0

I use my bigger BS to cut firewood up to 180mm thickness..

I bought a bandsaw first!- (even two) make sure its got a lot power!

And it is (vibrations, cut fingers etc, a whole lot more peaceful than a
    circular saw!!)

Greetings,

Be

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Be just had to remind me how badly I want a Hegner, or to be more specific how badly I want the disposible income to be able to buy one;). If you have the cheddar, Hegner's better.

9. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

I would go for a scroll saw. I don't have a band saw and I never missed it. I have a Hegner scroll saw Be mentioned in his post. Narrow radiuses are not a problem and with the right saw blade a 20 mm oak board is like butter. Not cheap, but worth every cent!

10. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

What about this?

This video was presented at the end of that Hegner commercial:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfsv_WspUcg[/ame]

He says it cost him 10$...

I think its nice..? !

Be

11. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I have a scroll saw and it covers most of my needs, but I am shopping for a band saw. The scroll will not cut slabs from small logs or trim down larger natural forks. I cut 2cm oak board on my scroll, you just have to be patient.

12. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

I can show you how I made my router table it is really easy ill post pics today.

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's a very tempting project to build....hmmm I may need to consider that one!

14. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Some great comments so far everyone, I really appreciate the opinions that come from experience. I love band saws, but I am leaning toward the scroll saw as my primary reason for getting one would be to cut wood with curves and shapes. I've got a compound miter saw as well as a circular saw, small table saw and a sawzall that I can use for straight cuts or for bigger stock (that seems like a lot of saws). I guess the ability to make tighter radius cuts on the scroll saw would give it a leg up over the band saw at this point.

15. zwillie

zwillie New Member

Hi just an example what a good bandsaw is able to do.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXW55S4X9zo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXW55S4X9zo[/ame]

Zwillie

16. dolomite

dolomite Banned

All the tools you just mentioned negates the bandsaw, I see a scrollie in your future. My Holmes-like powers of deduction tell me this;). BTW, in my rarely hunble opinion, the bladerunner is a pos with a sick name. Whatever model you get , make sure it uses pinless blades. I got my delta on ebay and it didnt have the blade holders, delta discontinued them as well so I thought I wasted my 120. Then I came across Pozsgai designs, they respect old scrollsaws that still run great but have no parts availability, Frank hooked me up with some extra goodies when I ordered my pinless conversion. Now the old delta is better than it was new as it uses a hegner bottom blade holder and a custom CNCed top clamp. So even if you find a great deal on pretty much any good working vintage model, you can pull the trigger with confidence cause Pozsgai designs will have stuff to keep it cutting.

17. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Wow, that is impressive. That dude obviously has been doing that for awhile. Makes a good case for the bandsaw!

You're the first to address the pinned vs pinless blades. I also noticed in my initial shopping of the Bay, that there are some pinned to pinless conversion kits, which appears to be exactly what Pozsgai offers. I think the Hegner product is probably out of my price range. I'm checking the bay for models and found some reconditioned ones that are in a really decent price point. I don't have a particular brand in mind at the moment. I like some of the older stuff, but I hate bidding, I'd rather buy outright and know my cost up front. I also have stopped in to a couple of local pawn shops, there are sometimes good deals to be found on power tools, though the condition is somewhat questionable at times.

Again, all good information. The search/decision continues. Thanks to Zwillie and Be, the band saw is still in the running, but still in 2nd place.

18. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

well, i have a hegner multicut 2s and all i can say, its great. i also can cut aluminum and brass sheets with it. its fast and very precise.

19. zwillie

zwillie New Member

Hi,
    I got an old scrollsaw with selfmade adapter.
    I use mostly the very fine pinless blades, for rough work I got my bandsaws.

Here the pin I made.

[​IMG]

Zwillie

20. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Those look like great machines. I did a quick search on Ebay here in the states. Found a few Multimax scroll saws listed, all used. The lowest price was $550 USD and that didn't include shipping. Yikes! A bit out of my price range at the moment. Maybe some day. I'm thinking inexpensive Asian import or high-quality used will have to be my choice for now. I recently added another pistol to my collection, so all disposable income has been effectively disposed of for now.

Thanks for posting that Zwillie. You guys are making a great case for the scroll saw - no offense to the band saw fans!