New natural fork & lots of questions...

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Cubanizm, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Cubanizm

Cubanizm Junior Member

Hi Guys,

New to the forum. I was hoping for some direction and suggestions regarding a natural fork I recently brought home.

The wood is beached and seems fairly dry and super hardened but am unable to identify the type of wood as of yet.

First question: Despite some minor cracks and knots; is it salvageable/ usable? It has a great feel, nice grain and potential would hate to not be able to use it. (see pics below)

Second question: Would soaking it in say minwax wood hardener, drying out for two days, and then filling the cracks in with and epoxy filler solve the problem?

Third Question: Do I carve & sand out my basic desired shape before the steps mentioned in my second set of questions or only after?

This is my first self made SS hence all the questions.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

the cracks don't look too bad, i'd shape it first and then fill what is left of the cracks. good luck and have fun building!!

3. You can stretch your fork in a vice and one rope at the ends attach.

Then you move hard at it to see whether it breaks or further tears!

Joe

4. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I'm not an expert, but I would shape it all first. Then sandpaper. Then, if you fell the wood and think it is fragile (most natural don't break), then you can go with the epoxy and wood dust mixed to cover defects. More sandpaper....
    and the finish. the cracks are not looking bad at all!

5. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Go with what Drach said. Get all of the heavy shaping done and then test for strength.

I think it will work out. Keep an eye on discolored areas, sometimes they are weaker.

6. Cubanizm

Cubanizm Junior Member

Thanks Guys! Here's an update

Thanks everyone!

Here's a quick look at the project's progress.

What do you guys think?

Next steps: Soak in Minwax wood hardener for a day or two; dry for two days; epoxy;and finally staining it...

(Not sure what color satin would look good on this grain though... Any suggestions?)

Also, does anyone know what kind of wood it might be?

Attached Files:

7. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

For staining I use Old English scratch remover. It come in 2 colors for light and dark wood. The dark is too dark and the light is too light. I put a little of the light in a jar lid and add drops of the dark and test it on scraps as I go. When you get the color you like apply it with a brush or a cloth and let it dry. Dry buff it with a piece of cloth and what the wood does not want will rub off then you do as you will. A small bottle of each will last you roughly for ever. For a finish, I am having very good results with Tru-Oil.
    Good Luck!