New Mexico wood

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by codido187, Dec 26, 2013.

1. codido187

codido187 New Member

Does anybody know of good natural hardwood in New Mexico??? So I can make natural forked slingshots

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

How about mesquite? This is only a guess, I'm not really sure which trees are indigenous to your particular region.
    If you cannot find a tree that will provide a suitable fork, try looking at bushes, shrubs and hedges. I have seen many a great fork displayed here that came from a bush. Happy hunting to you!

3. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thank you my friend I didn't know I could use a fork from a bush lol great idea man your smart

4. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I think there's desert ironwood in the new Mexico region, it's a really small tree and would be hella hard to carve but you'd end up with a nearly indestructible slingshot

5. codido187

codido187 New Member

I've never heard of desert ironwood I wonder where I might find some man everyone is nice here

6. codido187

codido187 New Member

They say there is iron wood!!! I must go out in my four wheeler and find some

7. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

http://www.treenm.com/nm-tree-species/redosier-dogwood/
    http://www.treenm.com/nm-tree-species/new-mexico-olive/
    http://www.treenm.com/nm-tree-species/arizona-ash-velvet-ash/
    http://www.treenm.com/nm-tree-species/
    These are what I came up with after a quick Google search, dogwood is excellent for slingshots (there's even a guy on the forum who will make you a slingshot from dogwood for free if you send him 2 forks of it.) And Sedarath makes lots of olive slings that look excellent. Ash is great SS wood too, and its easy too dry.
    Other than those most any fruit tree is considered good slingshot wood as well. Not just like Apple trees and orange trees but even trees that grow obscure inedible berries will often work. Just make sure it's not poisonous

8. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

EDIT: my bad double posted the above

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  9. codido187

codido187 New Member

Man your awesome you have helped me a lot I'm so new to this stuff I don't even know how thank you

10. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

No problem, I'm far from an expert myself. That's the best thing about this forum, there's always someone to help you out

11. codido187

codido187 New Member

I'm starting to thin I bug the vets lol

12. codido187

codido187 New Member

What about cotton wood

13. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Not a bit! This is a place where we help each other as much as possible and we like answering questions! Any time we can help someone on the path to 'slingaddiction,' we consider it our duty :D

14. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Welcome to SSC! Good luck with finding suitable natural forks down there in NM!

15. codido187

codido187 New Member

Lol I'm addicted to this site the people are frickin awesome

16. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thank you Lacumo so far I haven't had much luck Osage is the strongest thing out here but the problem is I'm not in south south New Mexico I'm in the middle and Osage trees are a rare find

17. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

If you're not sure about a particular wood like cottonwood, go to Google (i use images) and type in "cottonwood slingshot." If it works for a slingshot 98% of the time someone has already done it! If you don't see anything but you're convinced it will work try it, mistakes are how humans learn