New knifes

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by 4foruglenncoco, Jan 4, 2014.

1. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

I just ordered these colt ct426 hunting knives, I can't wait till they arrive, they are hunting knives so I'm guessing they should be just as good for bushcraft( I've read many reviews saying that they are better for bushcraft) but yeah do u guys think I got a good deal? ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1388814713.089494.jpg

2. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I'd say it depends on the quality of blade steel to start with. If it's "made in China" stainless, well... They'll still do the job but won’t hold an edge long and can be hard to get as sharp as higher end high carbon steel. I love stacked leather handles though and they are the traditional "Kabar" classic style.

3. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

I heard its just 440 steel :( but i Read about them more and found out that these are easy to sharpen, also I can't afford those "$100" knifes unfortunately but I thought this would be okay for me

4. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

well i have a 440 knife for 15 years now, and its pretty sturdy, never failed.

5. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I wasn't trying to wager an argument, as I couldn't afford a "$100" knife either... But it is a well known factor that any grade of stainless is not as good as high grade carbon... For the price, those look to be a fine set and will likely serve you well for many moons as well!

6. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Yup for the price they should be fine. And I really like the stacked leather handles too. I have some scrap leather strips. Im going to try that on one of my next knives. Gratz on the purchase.

7. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

I know, it's just knifes around me that are high carbon cost over $100 but I found a person who can make me Damascus steel customs knifes, and custom sheaths for me

8. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

The only info I've found is that they're made in China and use "420" stainless for the blades (no further info provided on the blade steel). It's very likely to be something like 3Cr13, which is the Chinese version of AISI 420J2. What this means is that the blades won't hold an edge very long, but they'll be extremely corrosion resistant, very tough, and very easy to sharpen. Those aren't bad attributes for field knives, except for the edge holding, which is somewhat mitigated by the fact that they'll be a breeze to touch up. They'll certainly do the job. :cool: