New forum category "Vote To Ban"

Discussion in 'About the Forum' started by Cadman, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Cadman

Cadman New Member

I propose that the forum creates a new category, the VOTE-TO-BAN category.

If a member is perceived a troll, or acts like the original singshotboy. We the members can vote to have them banned.

Let's say that "XYZ" is just causing problems on any number of threads. We could go to the VOTE-TO-BAN forum, and post their name. If a minimum number of members vote to ban them, they are gone for say 90 days.

It would require say 100 or 200 votes, we don't want it to used as a tool to harass any individual, just because you don't like them. But if there is a problem child on the forum, we the members can deal with them. This removes the burden from the Admins and the Big Guy.

Okay, I just put on my flame-proof underware, Have at me. :p
    Regards,
    Brian

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Thats not in the spirit of this forum. There's another one where this may be acceptable.

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Brian, you know I really respect you, and I will of course always listen closely to what my members say - but the one-rule rule is here to stay.

This suggestion would lead to awkward scenarios. People could easily generate 200 alter ego members (there is bot software that does that fully automatic) and vote out any other member all by themselves. It would require another rule to separate true, contributing members from those who are not. Even then, we'd seen battles raging between members and so on.

Sorry, won't work.

4. Cadman

Cadman New Member

Wow that did not take long, down in flames I go! :(

I just see another individual trying to stir up trouble on my favorite forum, and I was looking for a way to curb their efforts.

I did not consider the bots, and I was thinking that we could use the ip of the votes to verify honest votes.

okay, bad idea, nuff said.
    Regards,
    Brian

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I don't think you'll have to worry too much about that Brian. The folks here already do a good job of keeping tabs on the forum. You know, thread hijacking via recipes and all that. Very few people have pushed it so far as to be banned. And since it's Joerg's forum, he makes the ultimate call. His 'one rule' allows for a LOT of leeway here. And there have been some very heated discussions in the recent past. But even heated discussions are usually not enough reason to ban someone.

I understand where you're coming from. If someone tries to push it too far, rest assured the hijack crew is always on standby to help keep any eye on things and to restore proper, civilized slingshot forum discussions ;) Unless someone is really harassing other members, even poor manners or foolish comments are likely not going to get someone banned. Best thing is probably just to ignore them. If they keep pushing, they'll find a way to get themselves banned in the end.

6. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Slippery slopes and all that jazz. Plus this is a Monarchy, not a Democracy. Anyway the best way to deal with trolls is to proceed as if they had not spoken, in addition to all of the other methods mentioned by which we police ourselves. But I hear ya! I have welcomed people that I came to wish I hadn't.

7. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

I think this would be fine if you have enough evidence and if it truly hurt someone then yes but I think joerg is doing an amazing job at keeping this forum fun,awesome and troll free ... Props to you sir. There might be 100 trolls and they just vote off bv or antraxx or other very good and beloved members of the forum (everyone)

J

8. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

One rule to rule us all!

9. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

This is a Monarchy!

Long Live King Jeorg!

10. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Wouldn't it be Kaiser Jörg in this case? Or perhaps König Jörg?

-Wild Bill

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

One forum to bring them all
    One rule to bind them
    One Joerg to entertain them all
    And with the Theraband bind them

12. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

You just caused me to laugh while I was drinking, and straight rum went through my nose. Wow, what a feeling...

-Wild Bill

13. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

and how do you become king than?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOTKA0aGI0[/ame]

14. AvB

AvB New Member

Hello Friends,

sometimes it is better not to ban unloved members from the society.
    Just because you can have an eye on them.

If you ban them, they're out of sight... and perhaps will do things you would have been able to prevent if you saw them coming.

That maybe a small probleme here at the SSC - but scale the problem and you can project it to our society and politics.

regards
    Tom

15. dolomite

dolomite Banned

The ignore feature works great! I've no less than six on the list and it cuts the rubbish quite nicely, if they have something truly insightful to say, someone will end up quoting it anyway.

16. LloydLupfer

LloydLupfer Is Awesome!!!!

I don't mean to fully expose my ignorance on the subject but... What is a troll, and what is hijacking a thread? Obviously I am new to this whole thing so let the noob razing begin! lol

17. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Beware!-

you don´t really want to know that! Those fierce
    outbreaks of high calory attacks are hard to handle!

Will make you hungry, buy food and turn your kitchen into
    a mess. Heavy stuff!- You will most likely gain weight,
    "hip-gold" you might call it :)

(just to try to confuse and give imprecise hints)

And trolls are rare and hard to find here imho ;)

Best regards,

Be

18. dolomite

dolomite Banned

trolls are assclowns that only want to argue and not contribute, there's a few here. Threadjacking is what we do to them, change the subject to something completely off topic...usually food based combat.

19. LloydLupfer

LloydLupfer Is Awesome!!!!

Be, your hilarious! :p Thanks Dolo, all Be did was confuse me which I admit at times it is not hard to do lol. Thanks to you both :)

20. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Yup! :)