New blowgun darts, first robin hood and an experimental dart

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mvd, Feb 8, 2014.

1. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I catched the blowgun bug and it is fighting with the slingshot bug over me...I think they will combine and claim my soul equally to their realms.

Anyway I build some new darts for my .669 / 17mm cal blowgun from bamboo skewers and they hit pretty good, I just have to learn to aim properly. Scored a robin hood unintentionally, but it was a nice to have experience. Also a little extra, I had one of my old aluminium arrows lying around....guess what :D It drops like a stone after leaving the barrel but hey, it worked.

Thanks for reading my blabbering ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Very nice. I've had a few Robin Hoods myself, mostly unintentionally. They happen when trying to shoot tight groups. I've destroyed one cone on my store-bought darts with Robin Hoods.

3. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I have read that they get quite common once you can aim properly and have your breathing technique. Thats why they have 5 targets for each shooter at most blowgun competitions, so they don't destroy their perfectly crafted and weighted in darts.
    Their darts are top notch, made from carbon tubes and such.

http://www.blasrohr-sport.de/index.php

This is the site I got the most information about blowguns, it is in german though.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  4. Jeremy

Ich wuste nicht dass es Blasrohr wetbewerben gab. Ich arbeite immernoch auf mein Darts.

Right now I am simply using old wire hangers and duct tape for comes. I may need to try something more rigid for a dart.

5. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I am experimenting with darts at the moment, the bamboo are working good, but I have two broken arrows who are screaming "turn us into darts, give us a purpose" :D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  6. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

All these blowgun posts are starting to get under my skin.
    Skewers and bicycle spokes look different to me already, and I feel my eyes roving around the scrap piles more for tubing than forked objects lately.

It will be partially your fault, all the fun I will have with these in the future...:D

7. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I agree but blowguns are illegal in the UK.

However........

8. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Spread the bug :D

Thank you, I know that feeling. I think I will divide the year for me: Summer more slingshots, less blowguns and winter vice versa.

About this arrow I mentioned....
    They hit like a ram and are very accurate, don't know if the remaining fletching is doing anything, but it centers the dart nicely in the tube.

Attached Files:

9. Jeremy

What are you using for cones?

I have some bamboo darts that came with my blowgun, they are surprisingly affective. They even go through an old leather handbag my wife had.

I find myself shooting my blowgun more right now due to the weather. I need to find a way to increase my shooting distance with my slingshot indoors.

10. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I use a cheap duct tape clone, its lighter, thinner and more flexible as the usual ducttape but not as sticky (that is not really a downside), 4 pieces about 3cm long for one cone.
    I also use a conical plump bob to get them all equal.

11. Jeremy

How do you make your cone, I use two pieces of duct tape that are about three inches long.

12. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

13. Jeremy

I had not seen that method before.

Here is how I make mine:

[ame]http://youtu.be/JkneuPeU_Mg[/ame]

14. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Good idea too

15. Jeremy

Where does one find a plumb bob? I may have to try that method as well.

16. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

EBay, Amazo,n home improvement store.......
    Just remember that a longer cone with a smaller angle is more aerodynamic than a short cone with a big angle.
    The extreme is the japanese fukiya dart with its cone starting right behind the tip.

17. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I have evolved a slightly different method than the normal tape cone.

I start with a square of paper, post it note paper or similar. And a square of tape, duct tape is good, but clear packing tape also works.

[​IMG]

Stick the tape to one side of the paper, turns it into a single unit, easier to roll up.

[​IMG]

Start your roll. Long and slender is more aerodynamic, short and fat is faster and easier to build.

[​IMG]

Tapes halfway around now, from here it is dead easy, just keep wrapping it up.

Paper gives a "stiffness" or rigidity that duct tape twice just doesn't have. Tape makes it more waterproof. Dissimilar materials combined result in a unique result.

[​IMG]

Completed cone, if I precut paper, and duct tape squares I can crank out about 2 cones a minute.

These obviously have to be trimmed to fit your blowgun.

I've tried most everything for the big bore. Mechanics wire, bike spokes, bamboo, and was not totally happy with any of them.

I have learned however that 3-4" screws with one of my cones does quite well in the blowgun. And works almost as well in my crossbow!

18. Jeremy

Nice method Gosth, I may have to try that with some nails. I'm surprised to hear that screws work too. What do you use to affix the cone to the screw?

19. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Jeremy sweet part about the screw is if you clip the pointy end just a shade small they will screw themselves in right up to the head and stay there.

Drop of glue to hold them if you like, either on the backside of the head or where it comes out of the cone.

20. Jeremy

Very interesting, I'll have to give it a try.