New armored catchbox!

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by JoergS, Jul 13, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

My old catchbox is now beyond repair.

It lasted more than three years! Here is a pic from April 2010, when it was new.

[​IMG]

Pretty nice, from solid steel. I sawed out the front and mounted the cutout to the back, as a reinforcement.

Here is it in July 2013, after countless hits and constant bombardments. Of course I hammered it back into shape many times in between.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I made a new one! From 50mm wooden poles (2" by 2") and 18mm boards.

[​IMG]

It has an angled bottom board so the balls roll into the box I specifically made for the thing. Very comfortable!

[​IMG]

I use 1cm thick rubber stripes to catch the balls - this works great. Indestructable, silent, and strong. Some old T-shirts and an old door mat catch whatever energy is left after the rubber strips have done their job.

I also protected every face that is directed towards the shooter with that rubber.

[​IMG]

It works like a charm! I do hope it will last as long as the old metal one...

2. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Nice Job on the old Box :D
    The New one looks Really Nice! I like that the Balls run into the Box. ;)
    The only thing I missing, is a moving Target controlled by a remote controlled Car or something. ;) That I want to build someday for my Target. :D

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Well done! I think I might need a catchbox sooner or later.... My fionce gets very angry with me when I test a silngshot through the windows of the appartament!!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Its sad to see the old box laid to rest. It deserves a funeral or a medal for its metal :cool:
    After all, it was a heroic little device to withstand so much bombardment as bravely as it did. Somewhere, "Taps" is being played while it is laid to rest.
    The new box is great however! Looks very solid and the 'ball return' is very clever. It does bear a strong resemblance to my meat smoker however!

5. seeker66

seeker66 New Member

Perhaps the old one (if it has not been trashed yet) should go out with a bang...and by that I mean explosives...Just a proper send off fitting to its service.

6. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Wow... That has gone through a lot. We have all taken it for granted... Anyways, I think you might end up SPLINTERING the wood! It would be awesome if you could partner up with cold steel and get a polypropeline catch box... But that's wishful...

7. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

"nothing stops rubber better than rubber"

love that your new one is black. :)

8. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Oh that's rubber... I'm sorry.

9. EnesK

EnesK Call me the boss

you should make a tutorial video

10. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Looks good, but I foresee major bounce back from the face of it.;)

11. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

One question, does it work BETTER?

12. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

The rubber I used to protect it from the onslaught of millions of steel balls isn't latex, it is butyl. Think car tyre. Very tough, but not nearly as stretchy as latex. Therefore, ricochets from the surface are very harmless, the butyl absorbs the energy.

It works better than the old catchbox for sure. Collecting the balls is much easier now. Biggest improvement is the fact that I no longer need to replace the cardboard, the rubber strips are holding back the balls very well.

13. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Cool! I have to build something like this, myself :)

It looks a bit "Orc-style" (If anyone has heard of "Orcbows"?) with the overlapping, thick butyl! (And that is positive :D )

14. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

I really like both of those!

I have a catchbox project that I was suppose to have completed by now. Life keeps getting in the way. But I've got the materials, which is progress! I've still got the rest of this month.
    [​IMG]

But I gotta say after seeing both of yours, I think I'm going to be a bit shy to show off my poor little wooden construction fold-up. I was planning to cut some water noodles (swimming pool flotation devices) and attach them to the front -- in case I miss my target. :p But I'm not launching missiles - yet.

If the noodle 'armor' doesn't work, at least my catchbox will look nice. They come in a variety of pretty pastels. The best part is that I can make my box match the decor. [​IMG]

15. Courier

Courier Senior Member

This catchbox looks even cooler and is more functional than the other one.
    Well done, Jörg!

P.S. When you will throw the old catchbox away, you have to make sure that no supporter is hiding in the bushes to grab this precious reliquie. :)

16. Jörg, I think with your catapults with the a little bigger ammunition you should think about a safe than target butt!

Joe

17. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

If you start a fan club have it cut into dogtag-sized pieces for founding member membership cards(lifetime, of course).

The new one is a sweety, the rubber strip idea beats cleaning up shredded mess, too!

18. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Here is a video I made about it... for members first, I will release it to the public later on.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FHtC7ytBio[/ame]

19. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

thank you for the vid jörg!

20. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

R.I.P. old catch box thank you for your services. We wont forget you.
    "I see a catchbox and I want it painted black, No colors anymore I want them to turn black,... "
    Black was the way to go.;)
    That new catchbox is fantastic but i fear a little bit for her with you in the neighborhood. Hope it will stand against your crazy weapons.
    Great job as always.