"Neighbor who abhors spiders" dilemma

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by LuckyDuck, Jan 2, 2014.

1. LuckyDuck

LuckyDuck New Member

I posted on one of the youtube videos on TSSC the issue of my neighbor who is deathly afraid of spiders.

I asked what would be the best type of slingshot and ammo to rid her of the problem of getting up close for a kill. It's much colder now, and all the spiders that survived are now indoors where it's warmer. Although I haven't heard her call for help yet, I know there will be a few occurrences this winter where she will want me to rid her of those innocent creatures.

I had a conversation with a friend who mainly with bow about it and he suggested I acquire some rubber ammo and a beginners slingshot.

If you have a better idea on how to get things done right with a slingshot, please, I'd appreciate it greatly if you shared your knowledge. We need to get cracking soon on her aim and handling of a slingshot (and hopefully not taking someone's eye out).

-LD

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

For a spider, perhaps a marshmallow would work as ammo... It would kill a spider but not damage walls, furniture and such.

-Wild Bill

3. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I hate to say it, but a fly swatter works pretty well as does Spider insecticide spray.

This I say even though i used to shoot vitamins with a wrist rocket at the occasional house bug when I was a teenager.

Maybe spherical cereal like cocoa puffs.

4. LuckyDuck

LuckyDuck New Member

Damn - pretty good ideas. I'm afraid the ammo would go missing as they're so tasty. :D

5. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I made this for distance fly-swatting:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kL3oSD5TRo&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL5eYsxUrkgKVlx0mU4XB4c0n9MLb0na_4[/ame]

6. Moin moin,
    Spiders hunt ...
    Although is also a form of hunting .... but if it is n, has ..... and you do not cause quite as much damage want to ....
    A stick shooter ....
    With a long rubber band, but without pouch (or a wide range of subjects)
    Then with the latex directly the spider or fly, meet!

Advantage: there remain no dents back, as with steel balls, one must not collect bullets .....
    At most remove blood stains ......

But I think it's better than Sling Shoots ....

-
    Spinnen jagen...
    Ist zwar auch eine Form von jagen.... aber wenn es sei n muss, ..... und du nicht ganz so viel Schaden anrichten möchtest....
    Eine Stick Shooter....
    Mit einem langen Latexband, aber ohne Pouch (oder einen breiten Fächer)
    Dann mit dem Latex direkt die Spinne, oder Fliege, treffen!

Vorteil: es bleiben keine Dellen zurück, wie bei Stahlkugeln, man muss keine Geschosse einsammeln.....
    Höchstens Blutflecken noch beseitigen......

Aber ich glaube, dafür gibt es besseres, als Slingshoots....

7. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

You could forgo a slingshot entirely and make a "spider rifle", it'll suck em up and deposit the beast in a collection chamber.
    Heres a link to a video run through
    [ame="http://youtu.be/MnKJzCUy9Tw"]http://youtu.be/MnKJzCUy9Tw[/ame]
    Instead of the end cap that kipkay uses you can use a small soft drink bottle so you can see that its working

8. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

There are some great suggestions here! The marshmallow shooter was very smart, Thorsten's idea would work excellent, and I've always loved the FIAAO projectile fly-swatter. That spider vacuum looks like great fun Obl1v1Aus, thanks for sharing, I need to bump this up on my 'to do' list! I'm not overly fond of spiders (or ants, mice, cockroaches and door-to-door salesmen or anything else that invades my house, really) myself, but nature has provided me with a large foot that allows quick justice to be served in most cases. Repeat offenders are unknown. However, these ideas here are just downright fun!!

9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Of course...there is another side of this coin. The mischievous child in me gets quite an evil smile when the idea of using a slingshot to propel plastic spiders at your neighbor come to mind :D
    I can hear the screams now....!!

10. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

I've shot spiders with a rubber band gun, works like a charm on the small ones, but the bigger spiders need bigger rubber. You won't get dents or holes in the walls but you have to pick the rubber bands up afterwards. Also works great to get rid of little brothers! :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

11. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

12. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Oh, I had a lot of fun with that. My sister and mom both hate spiders. As a young boy, there was an amusement park near where I lived where I could play games and earn coupons- and when you collected enough of them you could redeem them for some cool stuff. When I was twelve, I redeemed a stupid amount of them- 3,000, on nothing but plastic spiders costing 2 coupons each. I hid all of them around the house. Everywhere. Heck, my parents moved out of the place six years later and they found about 50 of them in the move.

My sister is 2 years older than me, and at that age I was the 'younger brother who is too immature'. At first, she'd get a fast fright from a spider, but then she'd realize that it was a black, plastic spider I had placed and then give her, 'You're so immature' lecture. I let this go on for a couple of weeks.

What she and my mom didn't know is that prior to getting the plastic spiders, I had captured the biggest black widow spider I had ever seen and was keeping it alive and fed in a jar. One day, when my mom and sister went shopping, I set the final stage of my master plan into motion. Knowing that by now both of them were pretty numb to black spiders, I used a can of ether and anesthetized the spider. Next, I used 1lb test leader fishing line and hand-made a 'web' across the canopy of my sister's bed. Then I applied a small dab of superglue to the thorax of the spider, and then affixed it to the center of the web I had made.

When the ladies got home, my sister went into her room to put away her shopping loot. She saw the large black spider strung across her bed and began her, 'You're so immature' lecture- but halted quickly when she saw the spider unfold itself and try to escape the web. She let out a blood-curdling scream and ran out of the room, out of the hall, out of the house and continued screaming as she ran top speed down the street. She ran so fast that her scream had Doppler affect! Now mom then entered her room to see what the problem was, and she also saw 'one of Billy's plastic spiders' until it began to squirm. Moments later, and also with the appropriate Doppler affect, my mom was right behind her.

So yeah, I'm with you, Will, on the whole plastic spider thing. When played out well, it can be quite comical.

-Wild Bill

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  13. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

That totally sounds like something my Dad would do to annoy my mum, she hates spiders. And of course he's a 46 year old kid.

14. LuckyDuck

LuckyDuck New Member

WildBill - my ribs hurt from laughing so much.

You'd have gotten a whipping were you a part of my family pulling stunts like that. :D Still, it would be worth it!

15. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

You are a naughty, naughty boy!

.. and I like that!

Be