Needs advice with purchase of materials. Plus tips on crafting.

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Dr.Solomon, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Dr.Solomon

Dr.Solomon New Member

I was planning on buying Thera-Band Gold, but I'm on a budget, I was wondering about how much would someone need to last a few projects. I have poked around the forum a bit but could not find any topic pertaining to my need. I wanted to make The "Zombie Killer" Slingbow, and "Slingshot Crossbow Bullpup" For my first projects, then make my own. So I'd appreciate input. I want to be able to make my own slingshots other rubber based devices for fun. I know I could get cheaper Theraband colors, But, I would like to make powerful slings. If I have missed anything, Like information, or a topic that does have what i need, please tell me. Thanks you for your time everyone.

2. meeeee!

meeeee! New Member

use the band calculator. <a href="http://slingshotchannel.com/band_calc.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://slingshotchannel.com/band_calc.html</a> that should help you estimate how much you need to buy.<br><br>instead of theraband gold buy cheaper exercise bands. try looking at local stores or search on ebay.

3. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I think Arturo were talking about Cando-brand bands before. They claim they are the same as Thera-Band, but costs only a sixth of the price. I dont know were to find any, tough.

4. meeeee!

meeeee! New Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0" border="0" align="center">
    <tr><td><span class="genmed"><b>Failureisalwaysanoption wrote:</b></span></td></tr>
    <tr><td class="quote">I think Arturo were talking about Cando-brand bands before. They claim they are the same as Thera-Band, but costs only a sixth of the price. I dont know were to find any, tough.</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br><br>found some on ebay. about the same price, guess they are way cheaper if u buy them locally.</span>

5. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

<tr><td><span class="genmed"><b>Failureisalwaysanoption wrote:</b></span></td></tr>
    <tr><td class="quote">I think Arturo were talking about Cando-brand bands before. They claim they are the same as Thera-Band, but costs only a sixth of the price. I dont know were to find any, tough.</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br>I think <a href="http://www.alimed.com/cando-exercise-bands.html" class="postlink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">THESE</a> are the ones you' re talking about. But i don' t know wich country they come from.<br><br>Edit: Just find out, they are made in the US.</span>

6. Dr.Solomon

Dr.Solomon New Member

Thank you everyone for the input, I am looking for really strong, Gold or gold-like bands. I'll have to look into the cando-bands, Do anyone one for a fact how well they stand against thera band? because I'd gladly get it if I knew. I don't have all that much to test this right now. Couldn't find some locally, Maybe I missed it, But the eBay/amazon ones i was looking at was sold out. I just wanna be ale to buy 2-1 meters/yards at a time relativity cheaply.<br><br>EDIT: I'll have to put things on hold till later I suppose. Thanks to everyone for the help.

7. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

</table>
    <span class="postbody"><br>Yes I use both Cando Gold and TBG, Cando bands are more stiff or elongates less 4.5 while TBG 5.5 so if you use Cando you must cut a bit longer. Cando also kicks harder than TBG ... anyway as I don't have a crony I can't say which one is faster, but I believe (feel) the speed is about the same, Cando are made in USA and are a way cheaper (here in Chile) than TBG. Both bands last about the same ...</span>

8. meeeee!

meeeee! New Member

according to Cando they use the same color coding as theraband, so each color has the same draw weight as the theraband equivalent.

9. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

<tr><td><span class="genmed"><b>meeeee! wrote:</b></span></td></tr>
    <tr><td class="quote">according to Cando they use the same color coding as theraband, so each color has the same draw weight as the theraband equivalent.</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br>that's true for all colors excepting the silver and gold ... Cando gold is 37% more strong than TBG, also dimensions differ, same thickness but Cando 12.4 TBG 13.8 cm wide ...</span>