Need some questions answered to make a ss!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by RickBond, Aug 11, 2012.

1. RickBond

RickBond New Member

Hey all! My name is Rick and I too have caught the slingshot buzz from watching Joerg's videos. I've always been fascinated by woodworking and I just love to do it when I can.<br><br>I decided to start making my own slingshots but I have a few questions before I start. First, if I don't have 18mm birch plywood but have thinner pieces can I just glue them together to make a bigger one? Would it be as strong or easy to work with if it was made that way?<br><br>Also, I've been looking around for pouch threads but can't find any. I received some free pouch leather from a local furniture store, thanks to a suggestion in a thread I read recently, and I was wondering if it was too weak for a pouch. It's duval and bison leather from Americanleather.com. It's 2mm thick and in a 6cmx8cm patches. I have Duval and also Bison, same size, same thickness. Would this be too weak for a pouch? and if it is can I sew 2 together to make a stronger pouch? Also, what are good dimensions for a pouch?<br><br>I'm not the strongest guy so I don't plan on using super thick bands for a slingshot. A good starting suggestion for the band lengths and stuff would be much appreciated. I tried figuring out Joerg's band calculator but I don't understand it :/<br><br>I just plan to make the actual slingshot and hold out on using it until I can afford some theraband rubber.<br><br>Any answers would be great! Thanks!

2. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

Yes, you can laminate thinner pieces of ply to make thicker ones using Gorilla, Titebond, or epoxy. <br><br>The leather sounds fine for patches. You'll have to experiment as you go and match your pouch size to the size of ammo you decide you want to shoot most and what feels right to you. For general purpose pouches a good starting point is about 3/4" x 2.5". If you decide to use particularly large ammo or particularly small ammo you can adjust to suit those. <br><br>Bands are gonna be dependant upon what ammo you shoot and how long your draw length is. I don't have much experience with theraband (had some thera black bands, but don't recall the exact dimensions), but I find that a good general set of flatbands can be made out of either a single layer of .050" latex sheet (amazon has it, search for latex sheet) with the band cut 1" tapering to .5" and about 9" long, or two layers of .020-.030" cut to about the same dimensions. Again, these are general measurements that work out for me, and you will likely have to experiment and find out what you personally like, but this will give you a baseline to work with.

3. RickBond

RickBond New Member

Rockin' thank you pelleteer :] Now I can confidently go into making one XD