Need opinions on a rambone mod project

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by BraveSirWobin, Jan 30, 2018.

1. BraveSirWobin

BraveSirWobin New Member

Hello fellow slingshooters
    I have a mind of making my very first own slingshot.
    I have only been shooting for a couple of years, and loving it
    During those years, i've learned some preferences: I prefer the hammergrip, and i prefer shooting looped tubes TTF (1842) and 10 mm stell balls.

I own the Rambone 2.0, and while i love it, it's not the greatest for looped tubes TTF

So ofcourse, i'm thinking of making my own, which suits my preferances.

Since Jörg has been so nice to make the Rambone available to everyone, i've decided that i wanna use that, since it is the best handle i've held, and only do the forks sligthly different.

My plan is to drill 2 holes on each side of the fork, and saw a small groove into the holes, so that the looped tubes are quick to exchange, and giving me an aiming device.

However, that would result in all the pressure from the bands will be on the small bits on sides.
    My question is really; Is that a terrible idea? Would that be at huge risk of breaking?

I'll attach a very poorly and quickly drawn sketch.

Attached Files:

2. Knallfrosch

Knallfrosch Senior Member

TTF Forks are usually higher than OTT forks, because the ball has to fly through it and not over it.:D
    Your mod puts the OTT size forktips as TTF on the rambone handle... so the ammo gets VERY close to your hand. You need to be absolutely sure about your release and your shooting... otherwise i recommend a higher fork for TTF

3. kindlebear

kindlebear Slinger of Shots

Afaik the rambone has markings for drilling and cutting a loop attachment. Why not use those?

4. BraveSirWobin

BraveSirWobin New Member

Good advice :)
    However i already knew that, the image is just a very poorly and quickly drawn using paint.

What about the issue of where the bands will put pressure on the fork? Will the little piece of plywood be able to hold that tension, or will it break and slam into my face like a tiny wooden projectile?

I´ve found a picture of a slingshot similar to what i wanna make, just with a different handle. This one uses the ball-in-tube method, thus the tension wouldn´t be that hard on that little top. How would the slingshot in this image fare with looped tube?

Attached Files:

5. BraveSirWobin

BraveSirWobin New Member

Mostly because the aiming isnt what i prefer. The image above supplies the fork with a tiny tip, that is a good aiming point.
    Ive owned a commercial slingshot before, but that one had the thumb-index finger grip, and after having tried the hammergrip on the rambone, i prefer a hammergrip. Makes it much more stable, and easier to aim.

6. Knallfrosch

Knallfrosch Senior Member

Only the older models have those1.0 and 1.1

That depends on your plywood quality and your tubes... if you do it the way you painted, a 12mm plywood should hold it... if you take the same dimensions as the original fork ( around 18mm ) then you should be well on the safe side.

7. BraveSirWobin

BraveSirWobin New Member

Thanks for that answer. I currently only have 12 mm, but i migth invest in 18 mm, to be on the safe side.
    The thought of it breaking and a tiny wooden projectile lodging in my eye is quite a scary one :)

8. Alt-bringer

Alt-bringer New Member

bit late to the game but if instead of cutting a slot,
    you drill the hole to put the tube/band through and use a plug, the ball-in tube,
    (or the equivalent matchstick/slot method using wire or nail)

the idea being keeping the hole solid rather then cut, will make the hole less likely to fail

if you dont mind the money loss, you can soak the fork in *CA glue to harden it some
    (supper glue, use the runniest stuff you can find)

thinking of similar method to make joerg's rambone "arrow" that hasnt or isnt coming out
    (the one from his 2013 vid, worlds tiniest 58lb bow?)

(so far like all thing i do, im only in the plotting stage, and probably wont be getting to
    any project anytime soon, (no workspace or tools))

9. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Member

Could try just epoxying fixing brackets inside the forks to give them extra strength. Or make the forks from stout wire and drill a double hole into the rambone handle to accomodate

10. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Why not just attaching a bit of leather with two holes for the looped tubes? You can clamp in the leather using the original clips. If you want TTF, you can let the leather poke out sideways.